Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Leaf & Root Issues - Mini Phal - Newbie (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/66835-leaf-root-issues-mini-phal-newbie.html)

Higgins23 03-26-2013 09:07 PM

Leaf & Root Issues - Mini Phal - Newbie

4 Attachment(s)
Hi there,
I'm an orchid newbie and I have SO many questions about my phals! I'll separate them out into relevant posts, however. I'm most concerned about one of the mini phals. I'm attaching pictures. I've had this one for about 6 or 7 months. It's a grocery store rescue. It was in full bloom when I brought it home. It's been repotted once and I cleaned up the roots quite a bit as they were a rotted mess! Now, months later, it's not doing so well :( The leaves are drooping and puckered. I researched and thought it was dehydration, but now I'm not so sure about that. There are barely any roots left, BUT - you'll see in one of the pictures I've attached that there is a new leaf coming as well as a new root (I think)! She's sitting with her buddy on a hydration tray I made when I thought she wasn't getting enough moisture when we started running our heat in the house. Questions:
1. Is her pot too big for her root system?
2. Should she be in a different medium?
3. What should I do to help her get better?
Thank you!!

cbuchman 03-27-2013 08:16 AM

To me it looks like dehydration. Since you say that there are no/fee roots, that is probably the reason - no roots means no means to take up water/nutrients. You may lose some lower leaves as it pulls energy to grow the new leaf & roots.

One way to help is to try to encourage root growth. Sometime using a seaweed or other root stimulator can help get those roots growing. Be sure to keep it moist - not wet, as you know.

Tim C. 03-27-2013 09:08 AM

The plant in question definitely looks dehydrated. It could probably do well to be in a slightly smaller pot, especially since it has nearly no root system. The potting mix also looks to be quite coarse - is it just bark, or are there other ingredients in the mix? The coarser the mix, the faster it will dry out, which you don't want when a plant has so few roots.

I suggest putting the plant in a smaller pot, with a potting mix that has either fine or medium grade bark, and a moisture retaining ingredient like sponge rock or peat chunks. You may even want to consider putting it in a plastic pot (you can slide that pot into a decorative clay one, if you like), as plastic also retains moisture more than clay.

The biggest concern for this plant right now is moisture. You want to make sure - like Carrie said - that it stays moist - not wet - at all times. Depending on your house's humidity and how fast your potting mix dries out, you may even want to consider potting the phal in sphagnum moss. I used to grow my phals that way, as my apartment was very dry - the moss would dry out within in a week, which was perfect for my watering schedule.

Best of luck, and happy growing.

-Tim

silken 03-27-2013 11:10 AM

Welcome! I agree, the pot should only fit the roots or slightly larger which in your case would be tiny and rather impossible. But a smaller plastic pot would be what I would go with. Also new bark in a clay pot will dry out very quickly and as mentioned, it will need to hold moisture a bit longer with so few roots to take any up. I like a mix of sphagnum moss and bark. Also the seaweed as mentioned would help stimulate root growth. I also feel clear pots that let some light to the roots help. http://www.orchidboard.com/community...ends-here.html This is a very long thread, but you should have a read thru some of the pages as many Phal growing issues have been addressed here.

Higgins23 03-27-2013 02:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I'm going to repot her in a smaller, plastic pot and mix in some moss (since it's just in strictly a bark mix right now). Will also look into getting some root booster. Any suggestions for that? I know seaweed was mentioned? Thank you!

Tim C. 03-27-2013 02:15 PM

There are a lot of seaweed based products out there, many of which are known to growers to help with root growth. Personally, I use a product made by DynaGro called DynaGro K-L-N, which has served me fine. Either way, as long as you're helping stimulate root growth, you're good to go.

Oh, and I wouldn't fertilize much, if any, right now (aside from the root growth products). Since the plant has so few roots, it wouldn't be able to take in much of the fertilizer, which would then build up in the medium, and possibly burn the new roots.

-Tim

silken 03-27-2013 04:09 PM

I would try to find the Dyna-Gro K-L-N or seaweed (kelp). I use both at different times and some other rooting hormones are too strong for orchid roots. These ones are well documented to be fine with orchids if used according to directions.

Higgins23 03-27-2013 05:41 PM

Does anyone know if there's an equivalent to Dyna-Gro DLN? It seems it's only available through distributors and the closest retailer to me is pretty far. Suggestions?

cbuchman 03-27-2013 05:50 PM

I got my Dyna-Gro K-L-N on amazon.com

Higgins23 03-27-2013 06:06 PM

Actually, I'm wrong - I see a few places online where I can order it. Thanks everyone. Stay tuned :)