Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Terrarium Gardening (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/terrarium-gardening/)
-   -   New grower with quetions about a Terrarium build (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/terrarium-gardening/66683-grower-quetions-terrarium-build.html)

stylingpat 03-20-2013 11:22 AM

New grower with quetions about a Terrarium build

:waving :hello

I am so happy to have found these forums. I've been searching all over the internet to get my questions answered! Even the 420 forums and they are all like :scratchhead:

So lets start it out with my fundamental question.

I want to build a custom terrarium that houses medium and low light orchids. Is that possible or do I need to stick to one light choice?.. and have too tanks! :rofl:

The idea is a tank 3ft tall x 2.5ft wide (I havent decided the width but it will be shaped like a bookcase)

1 foot down from the light(s) I want ~2000 fc's.

2 feet down from the light(s) I want ~1000 fc's.

Also I want to stick to some light source that is natural looking as I want to display this in my house!

Also if my measurements and the whole thing could be optimized a little more, please let me know where I could tweak this! Nothing is set it stone but I'm trying to get some idea's rolling!

Also my collection right now is a Phal., 2x Onc., & a Blc. Not neccessary going to be whats in the tank, but I would like to have the option of putting them in over the winter.

:pray:

Also the temperature I am going for is intermediate. Nothing to warm or cold. Household temperatures

Leafmite 03-20-2013 11:58 AM

Sounds like a great project! I haven't done one of these so I will wish you luck!

WhiteRabbit 03-21-2013 05:23 PM

:welcomeflowers: and :bump:

stonedragonfarms 03-28-2013 03:03 AM

Welcome to the board!
A few questions for you:
a. What temperature range do you anticipate growing in? I grow mostly cool growing things, so my builds are a bit different from those of members that grow bulbos or other species.
b. Do you want a terrarium that is accessible from the top or the front? If you are good with something that is accessible from the top, I'd recommend that you search craigslist frequently for aquariums or fish tanks; it's amazing what you will find if you look...
c. I think that your lighting requirements are quite easily met; have you considered humidity and air circulation requirements yet?
I'm sure the others will chime in with more thoughts & questions, more soon.
Adam

professor plant 03-28-2013 07:09 PM

I grow in terrariums and I have spent a few years mulling over different options. I consider cost, availability of products, and aestetic appeal when choosing a tank.

I have gone with exo terra terrariums, because they are relatively cheap considering building one out of polycarbonate sheeting, they open from the front (a must in my opinion) and they clean easily.

I have not repurposed anything into a tank, but I would like to. If you do, consider sealing all exposed wood. Also drilling holes in the glass, if needed, for wiring, ect. (see youtube) Plus getting to the plants needs to be easy. A top loading tank is out of the question for me.

Also will you water in the tank or out. Fert? ect.

Humidty will maintain itself if the space has enough plants and does not have a high exchange of air. I have found it unnecessary to have constant air exchange. Plants grow well, humidity stays high. Mold and fungus is non-existent if air flow is continuous and adequate.

Regarding light sources you probably know your options. I have tried MANY. I still prefer HO T5's. I also like FirstRay's screw in LED's, and yes they are really affordable.

Please keep in mind the FC's you want and the heat that may be put off. I have chosen to grow with less optimal light for better temperature control, and my plants grow and bloom enough to satisfy me.

Hopefully you will find something accomodating.