Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Growing on Mounts (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-on-mounts/)
-   -   mounting on trees (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-on-mounts/6620-mounting-trees.html)

talyce66 10-28-2007 11:37 AM

mounting on trees

I've been thinking about throwing some orchids up in some of the trees out back. I know oak trees are great, but I have read that some trees such as walnuts I think have some kind of acid that does not agree with the plants. I have an orange tree with an amazing gigantic air plant growing out of it. Has anyone tried an orange tree for mounting? Just curious. Any input on the idea? I just dont know how it would react to citrus.

flhiker 10-28-2007 12:26 PM

Hi Talyce66, I looked thru my copy of wild orchids of Florida and only found one orchid that seems to like old citrus trees is the leafless Harrisella. I have hiked a lot of S. Florida and some middle and north and can't remember seeing any orchids on Citrus trees.

talyce66 10-29-2007 11:44 AM

Well I was kinda hesitant to try the orange tree, but looking at the size of the airplant that's been growing on it kinda made me curious. I wasn't going to go out and buy a real extravagant orchid to mount on it anyway. I have more luck with regular cattleas when it comes to mounting. Thanks!

luckygrower 10-29-2007 09:18 PM

I don't know about live citrus trees but I was told that you could mount on dead citrus branches

justatypn 10-29-2007 11:21 PM

I remember reading somewhere that yes you can grow on dead citrus branches noting it to be like most demised branches. My only thoughts about mounting on the brances would be the bacteria and fungus they are so bound to attract not to mention the ants.

You know what they say about curiosity, it's hard to part but you might want to try one and see. Go to the depot and get a rescue and give it a try. I would if I could but I can't so I wont...living in a condo has limited my curiousity.

Being in Malabar your familiar with Grant Farm Island on the ICW. My father-in-law lives on the island and before my mother-in-law passed she raised a few orchids on sea grapes and drift wood; they learned how to acclimate, slowly but they survived.

Nothing worse than wondering if it would work :scratchhead: unless you give it a try :biggrin:

Undergrounder 11-01-2007 07:45 AM

I've definitely read somewhere that orchids can grow on citrus trees.

Junebug 11-09-2007 09:13 AM

Talycee66 Mounting Orchids on Citrus Trees

Hi Talycee 66,

I'm you neighbor living in Melbourne, Florida and have never mounted an orchid onto a citrus tree but I suspend my orchids from their limbs. Citrus leaves and small sticks frequently fall into and decay on top of the potting medium with no adverse effects, so this might be worth a try. Also, citrus trees safe as they are seldom uprooted during a hurricane. The same cannot be said for Oak trees in our area of the country. Do you have any tall Palm trees? I saw an amazing picture on the interenet from an orchid farm in Homestead, Fl. They had mounted a Vanda on the trunk of the Palm. It was absolutely enormous and in profuse bloom. Needless to say, I was inspired. I believe Homestead is in Zone 10, but I'm willing to give the Vanda Palm Tree mount a try in zone 9.