Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Orchid Lounge (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/)
-   -   Longest lasting flowers- anyone know? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/65862-lasting-flowers.html)

greengarden 02-15-2013 04:58 AM

Longest lasting flowers- anyone know?

I noted in the valentines thread that the flowers on that can last up to six months which surprised me. So just wondering if anyone can up that and knows what the species with the longest lasting flowers is?

camille1585 02-15-2013 05:11 AM

My Phal hybrid with very waxy blooms lasts 5-6 months.

As far as species, Dendrobium cuthbertsonii is known to bloom for a long time, I think it can easily last 6 months in good conditions

Otherwise ones I can think of that blooms a long time (but not in the way you mean) are Psychopsis. The individual blooms only last 3-4 weeks, but being sequential bloomers and since I have 2 spikes (3rd on the way) on mine there's always at least one of them flowering, or at the worst 2-3 weeks of nothing while buds grow. A spike can continue to bloom for up to 10 years, so if you have multiple spikes, the plant is pretty much never out of bloom!

Of course longevity is not set in stone per species/plant, it really depends on the cultural conditions in the end.

ronaldhanko 02-15-2013 07:44 AM

I suspect it is Dend. cuthbertsonii. Six months is about average for the blooms, but they can last much longer. I've had them last 8-9 months. As to sequential blooms, there are any number of Pleurothallids that are always in bloom. A Lepanthes ingridiana, which continues to produce flowers on the same leaves for years has never been out of bloom as long as I've owned it.

NYCorchidman 02-15-2013 02:10 PM

I don't grow species, but my dendrobium hybrid Warawan easily stays in bloom for 5-6 months all the while emitting sweet scent until they drop.

My place can get quite heated during the day time and this plant sits right next to the window.
It is now going into its 6th month now and still not a single flower dropped yet.

I have no clue what species are involved but given the look, it is one of those antelope types.
My all other antelope types last about 1-3 months average.

Also, phalaenopsis hybrid Wedding Promenade (pink flowered mini, very floweriferous) started to bloom in August and it is still in perfect condition. No newer buds, but just the original flowers from last summer. So far about two flowers drop (in December) so this one is the winner of the two longest lasting bloomers I own.

Vanda lover 02-15-2013 02:37 PM

Reed stemmed epidendrums can last months. I had one bloom for a year and a half in s/h