Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   New purchases in bloom and bud (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/65731-purchases-bloom-bud.html)

SJF 02-09-2013 10:28 AM

New purchases in bloom and bud

10 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I was planning on attending the Deep Cut Orchid Society show at Dearborn Market. It is Thurs-Sunday. Thursday I had to run errands and was planning on going on Friday and Nemo "swam" into our area (the naming of Winter storms is a pet peeve of mine :backtotop). I had set aside some money to buy some plants..of course, can't resist. I am so disappointed that I couldn't get there yesterday or today because of the storm. I can't go tomorrow due to my children's obligations. I had a feeling this was going to happen when I went food shopping on Friday. V-day is my wedding anniv. and I asked my husband for orchid plants instead of cut flowers. I even said I would purchase them (guarantees plants I like). After my recent virused orchid purchases I am a little leary and nervous when picking plants out. Here are the plants. once was in bloom and once started opening yesterday. I got some Onc. Int. too, but will post them in the forum. Please tell me what you think about how they look. They had some gorgeous flowered nobile dendro. and I don't have any, but the foliage markings scared me. I was lucky enough that some of them had tags. :biggrin:

SJF 02-09-2013 10:32 AM

10 Attachment(s)
some more
first four: Clty. Spring Fragrance 'Hawaii', flowers are more white when they open and the more mature blooms have purple in them

The next plant w/o a label, does the spotting look normal?

SJF 02-09-2013 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
last one, un-named plant

Orchids4ever 02-09-2013 11:07 AM

Hi
Like the orchids you got.
I am not an Expert, but they look good to me.
The one with the spots- i think these are old leafs-

SJF 02-09-2013 11:17 AM

The prices were good too, or I think they were

Ferns Daddy 02-09-2013 11:17 AM

Those are really nice looking

InspirChid1712 02-10-2013 10:24 AM

Uh oh! You got Bl. Morning Glory... I hope you have lots of space!!! That thing will triple in size within a year!!! (Enjoy it! It is one of my favorites!!!) :-D

SJF 02-10-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InspirChid1712 (Post 551383)
Uh oh! You got Bl. Morning Glory... I hope you have lots of space!!! That thing will triple in size within a year!!! (Enjoy it! It is one of my favorites!!!) :-D

Thanks, Is has three blooms now. It is beautiful. It had closed buds when I bought it, so I didn't know what to expect. I have never had one like it before. How do you care for yours and what do you have it potted in? I am wondering if I should repot it once it is done blooming? It has another stalk too.

silken 02-10-2013 11:23 AM

Very nice haul! Lovely blooms! those few leaves just look old to me. Just keep an eye on them that it doesn't spread, but I wouldn't be concerned really.

SJF 02-10-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silken (Post 551391)
Very nice haul! Lovely blooms! those few leaves just look old to me. Just keep an eye on them that it doesn't spread, but I wouldn't be concerned really.

Thank you. I really wanted to get to the show, but with two b-day parties and a GS Cadette meeting today, my kid's schedules made it impossible. I am curious to see what the un-tagged plants look like when they bloom