Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   Slc. 'Spectrum Millenium' (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/65641-slc-spectrum-millenium.html)

Silje 02-04-2013 04:21 AM

Slc. 'Spectrum Millenium'

5 Attachment(s)
In July 2012 I got a pretty small cattleya alliance plant.

When I bought it, I thought it was peach and orange in color and although I'm not a huge fan of splash type of cattleyas, I've got a soft spot for peach and orange coloration, so...

On December 25 2012, the plant looked like this:
Attachment 77313

It had a new growth and I was hoping that it would bloom within the next 6 months or so. I'm used to waiting for catts to do their whole 'sheath thing'.

But oh no, not this guy. Instead of developing buds painfully slow, they kinda just exploded from the core of the new growth before it had leaves or anything!

So this is how it looks today, a bit more than a month later. Not a hint of peach or orange, but I think I like it anyway! :lol:

Attachment 77314
Attachment 77315
Attachment 77316
Attachment 77317

RosieC 02-04-2013 05:55 AM

Really pretty :cheer:

tuvoc 02-04-2013 09:48 AM

Nice color.

Kim

camille1585 02-04-2013 02:57 PM

Very nice!! I think I'd like that orchid just for being a fast bloomer. There does seem to be some peach/orange in the base color

WhiteRabbit 02-04-2013 03:25 PM

Ooo lovely!

Bud 02-04-2013 03:35 PM

Gorgeous flowers. This looks like a compact miniature that has the effect of being dipped in tie dyed colors....very eye pleasing ....you must take more pictures when it has fully opened, it might change color, flatten and open up some more....
*the bulbs are shriveling, maybe more moisture is needed

PlantTeeth 02-04-2013 04:10 PM

Very nice!

via mobile

Silje 02-05-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 550064)
Gorgeous flowers. This looks like a compact miniature that has the effect of being dipped in tie dyed colors....very eye pleasing ....you must take more pictures when it has fully opened, it might change color, flatten and open up some more....
*the bulbs are shriveling, maybe more moisture is needed

Will take more pictures later, Bud. I, for some reason, decided I'd better get out the camera the second they opened up. Maybe thinking they would be done as quickly as they developed?;)

Oh, these bulbs look terrible. But that's the result of taking orchids on a two weeks safari before finally reaching end destination with water, sunlight and fertilizer. They never quite recovered from the trip. I've got a whole bunch of them that have pretty sad looking bulbs, but new growth and roots look much better.

InspirChid1712 02-05-2013 07:45 AM

Its so cute! And such a beautiful flower! I'd say its totally a keeper... and I'm sure it will perk up with some care. Good find!!!

PS- The title of that blog is SO FUNNY!!!! "Small" pots of joy... thats how they start out... then they turn into HUGE, rambling pots of joy that could swallow you whole! haha!