Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Pests & Diseases (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/)
-   -   Are there US orchid growers that guarantee virus free plants? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/65606-orchid-growers-guarantee-virus-free-plants.html)

SJF 02-02-2013 08:07 PM

Are there US orchid growers that guarantee virus free plants?

Hi,
In light of my getting virused orchids from three sources, I am wondering if there are vendors that guarantee clean orchids? I know it doesn't matter to some people, but it does matter to me. I practice clean practices so I don't cross contaminate, but insects can spread it if a plant comes home with them. I occassionally have fungus gnats. I read that thet can spread the virus. I don't want to lose my collection or take the time to care for plants that will decline and probably underperform

zxyqu 02-02-2013 08:48 PM

Probably not honestly. I don't know that you could guarantee a plant to be completely virus free. You might be able to say that they are free of this or that virus, but I doubt many growers do this, as it would add an unneeded expense

SJF 02-02-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zxyqu (Post 549464)
Probably not honestly. I don't know that you could guarantee a plant to be completely virus free. You might be able to say that they are free of this or that virus, but I doubt many growers do this, as it would add an unneeded expense

Thanks, I wonder if some are really a lot better than others

NYCorchidman 02-02-2013 10:01 PM

I forgot which thread, but someone posted about growers who guaruntee virus free policy. There are very few of them.
but many will give you money back or replace with other plants when you tell them about the virused plants bought from them.
Some are just straight out rude and stupid. lol

SJF 02-02-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCorchidman (Post 549500)
I forgot which thread, but someone posted about growers who guaruntee virus free policy. There are very few of them.
but many will give you money back or replace with other plants when you tell them about the virused plants bought from them.
Some are just straight out rude and stupid. lol

The problem is that I think those of us that care are in the minority. It looks like Matsui is one of if not the largest grower in the US. Maybe that is why their plants seem clean, too much money to lose with issues

Bud 02-02-2013 10:14 PM

the only orchid farm you can find virus free if they started all collections from flask then grew it into maturity in a pristeen lab environment that did not have any contamination from other plants that came outside that pristeen environment....
but if you got plants that were grown outdoors or in a greenhouse environment and had contact with bugs and ants or bees....then you may or may not have virus....there are no guarantees.
do not fret you can buy testing kits real cheap and all you need to do is test a plant that you suspect may have a virus....and if you have more than 10 plats to test: send leaf or petal samples to a lab for a small fee....

NYCorchidman 02-02-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJF (Post 549505)
The problem is that I think those of us that care are in the minority. It looks like Matsui is one of if not the largest grower in the US. Maybe that is why their plants seem clean, too much money to lose with issues

I think Matsui only does wholesale.
By the way, you can always ask seller before buying. Nice sellers will always kindly let you know of their policy.

I just buy and as long as things look fine, and grow and bloom fine, I keep them (all the while worrying about virus, but trying not to worry too much any more) but that's me.

Leafmite 02-03-2013 12:24 AM

Yeah, I have my doubts, too, whether there is anywhere that can promise never to sell a plant with virus. Visitors who smoke can enter a greenhouse and touch the plants and potentially infect plants. I do try to buy from places that have a good reputation.

camille1585 02-03-2013 05:48 AM

I think it's impossible to guarantee clean plants. Most people only test for CMV and OSRV. Yet those are far from being the only viruses that infect orchids, though they are the most common.

SJF 02-03-2013 09:30 AM

thanks, I was afraid of that , but hoping there were some