Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cypripedium Alliance - Paphiopedilum (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-paphiopedilum/)
-   -   A few paphs in bud (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-paphiopedilum/65581-paphs-bud.html)

NYCorchidman 02-01-2013 04:45 PM

A few paphs in bud

7 Attachment(s)
The first three are maudiae vini. It's amazing how fast buds are growing! (as showin third and fourth pictures of the same plant in just over a few days!)

The fifth one is white complex with a bit of green. It is about to open any minute now! :D

The next picture shows a very similar cross, but it makes pure white flowers with a little specks. I thought it was sending up a leaf, but it turns out that it is wide and short sheath cover (whatever the technical term is for that structure).

The last picture is Insigne opening up its second flower. I would love to see all three open, but I'm afraid the first one will have fallen off by the time the third bud opens up. well, well,

So excited :banana:

WhiteRabbit 02-01-2013 09:40 PM

Nice!

NYCorchidman 02-01-2013 10:01 PM

Right? :)

Now I'm dreaming of having three dark flowers on my table in the near future!

silken 02-01-2013 10:12 PM

Lovely buds and blooms! My Paphs grow so slow!

NYCorchidman 02-05-2013 12:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The third one pictured in the above post is pushing up its spike fast! This shot was taken today.

The second picture shows the same plant in the first picture of the original post. You can see the bud smooth and shiny as opposed to others that are usually fuzzy.

The last two pics show the same plant in bud from the original post.

Sorry about the confusing order of pictures.

Enjoy~ :)

NYCorchidman 02-05-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silken (Post 549222)
Lovely buds and blooms! My Paphs grow so slow!

My Armeni White is testing my patience. Growth stopped for nearly two months and now it is growing again.

Other than that, most of my paphs are either complex or maudiae type. Most of them grow at reasonably rate and I am not that patient. :lol:

It seems like paph (almost all of mine) have either very short rest or continuously grow (although growth rate differ by season, spring and fall being the best for them)

One of my vinis, not pictured in this thread, only grew two small leaves in the past one year!
I am thinking of getting that one tested for virus.
I still keep that one just because the flower was so nice!

What kind of paphs do you grow? some are terribly slow I hear. I really really want Delrosi, but I heard it is VERY slow like 10 years to reach maturity.
So I'm not sure if that means once it reaches maturity, flowering will be on regular schedule or what.
I haven't decided whether I want to grow Delrosi after being scared off by what I read.

For now, I am more than happy with my maudiae types (my favorites!) and green complex.

silken 02-05-2013 01:41 AM

I have a mix of hybrids and species. Some are seedlings too so I won't see blooms for a while. I have a NOID that I think is a maudiae and a Deperle that is maybe one of the best for growth. Also my spicerianum bloomed recently. Then I have a small Harold Koopowitz, St. Swithin seedling, Lynleigh Koopowitz that bloomed last summer, Fanaticum that might be a year from blooming. a Ho Chi Minh that bloomed a few years ago and not since. I have a bulldog Pahp that I bought in bloom last Feb. but is not showing a spike at all yet. I have a couple more but very small. So I don't get many slipper blooms! I just pre-ordered a Angel Hair and a lowii from Ten Shin. Gee, I didn't realize I had so many!!

The Orchid Boy 02-05-2013 05:13 PM

Nice buds and blooms!

I don't have many paphs. I have a delenatii, 2 P. Magical Venus, a sanderianum that takes 2-4 years to mature a growth, a medium to large gratrixianum seedling, and a compot of P. liemianum 'Birchwood' (x self) that has around 25-35 flasklings, I plan on growing at least half of the liemianums to blooming. I plan on getting the 2 other varieties of delenatii and a belatullum from Orchid Inn at the local show soon.

How many paphs do you have NYCorchidman?

NYCorchidman 02-05-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silken (Post 550217)
I have a mix of hybrids and species. Some are seedlings too so I won't see blooms for a while. I have a NOID that I think is a maudiae and a Deperle that is maybe one of the best for growth. Also my spicerianum bloomed recently. Then I have a small Harold Koopowitz, St. Swithin seedling, Lynleigh Koopowitz that bloomed last summer, Fanaticum that might be a year from blooming. a Ho Chi Minh that bloomed a few years ago and not since. I have a bulldog Pahp that I bought in bloom last Feb. but is not showing a spike at all yet. I have a couple more but very small. So I don't get many slipper blooms! I just pre-ordered a Angel Hair and a lowii from Ten Shin. Gee, I didn't realize I had so many!!

Wow~ You have lots of differnt stuff! It will be very fun to see when they all come to bloom one day.

Deperle is so pretty in bloom and leaves are nice too I think. Ho Chi Minh is basically the same as Delenatii I read, or sceintists are still trying to figure out. They sure look very similar though! I thought it was supposed to be easy like Delenatii. maybe not.
It does have specific watering needs because of the rain season in its natural habitat. Do you give them enough water at right times? If not, they may not flower along with temperature variation.

I do have a few bulldogs. Unless you have large multi fanned plants of various size, they usually do not flower every year as fans take over a year to mature under regular home environment. At least that is my experience.
Newer complex hybrids with some warm growing species in the breeding background can grow fast and bloom more often. I have Pacific Shamrock (well known green complex) and henryanum (warm growing) cross, and this one grows fast and bloom twice a year. It produces very glossy and beautiful apple green flowers.

I most have maudiae paphs, so mine all grow pretty fast and bloom at least twice a year. and they all last like two three months. I love them!!!! :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Orchid Boy (Post 550326)
Nice buds and blooms!

I don't have many paphs. I have a delenatii, 2 P. Magical Venus, a sanderianum that takes 2-4 years to mature a growth, a medium to large gratrixianum seedling, and a compot of P. liemianum 'Birchwood' (x self) that has around 25-35 flasklings, I plan on growing at least half of the liemianums to blooming. I plan on getting the 2 other varieties of delenatii and a belatullum from Orchid Inn at the local show soon.

How many paphs do you have NYCorchidman?

Thank you!

I have about thirty paphs, most them are maudiae of different colors. then complex and some others.

I bought all of them in bud as I like to know what I'm buying for sure and I found that paphs can look VERY different within the grex as most are grown from seeds.

My ideal paph shopping will be visiting some nurseries with tons of paphs in bloom and picking whatever I like.
One day!

Also, I have bought quite a few seedlings (as they were cheap) and then wait for the flowers to show up. Then I only keep the ones I like. I usually dump out many. (many are down right ugly, wrong shape, wrong color or both!!!)

I wouldn't mind buying lots of seedlings and bloomed them out as you never know what you will have.

For now, I only buy ones in bloom so I know what I'm buying.

PlantTeeth 02-05-2013 10:16 PM

Great photos! I really like the dual color leaves.

via mobile