Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vendor Feedback (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vendor-feedback/)
-   -   Pics from Hilltop Orchids (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vendor-feedback/65417-pics-hilltop-orchids.html)

Stray59 01-25-2013 11:55 AM

Pics from Hilltop Orchids

10 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone -
Just returned from my parent's home in Southern Illinois, USA and as always I stopped at Hilltop Orchids to stretch my legs and de-stress. Rick gave me permission to photo whatever I wanted and I wanted to share some with you - I took a pic of his new black paph - it is backlit so you see the dark maroon coloring that is the basis for the deep shade - unfortunately this does not do it justice because a front lit view makes it look midnight black! Also you will see a lot of Eric Michel's species and mounted species that are residing at Hilltop - He and Rick are partnered in a deal whereas Eric rents room from Rick and Rick sells the plants for Eric. They both do shows and you may have the pleasure of meeting them at one.
Hope you enjoy - there are several to look at!
Steve:waving
Attachment 76709 Attachment 76710
Attachment 76711 Attachment 76712
Attachment 76713 Attachment 76714
Attachment 76715 Attachment 76716
Attachment 76717 Attachment 76718

silken 01-25-2013 12:01 PM

Great photos! I wouldn't be able to walk away unless my arms were full of plants! So I guess I should be glad we don't have anything like that near me! Lots of fun to see in the middle of winter!

orchideya 01-25-2013 12:16 PM

Wow, that is just a wonderful piece of paradise on earth. You are so lucky. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Orchids4ever 01-25-2013 12:34 PM

Wow-Nice
Thanks for sharing.
How many did you buy?

Stray59 01-25-2013 02:12 PM

10 Attachment(s)
I purchased a Sedirea japonica ($25.00) in bloom; I choose one that was crawling out of it's pot as I wanted to repot it soon and did not want to have to disturb it's roots that much - there were about 25-30 of them, all Eric Michel's plants and they were all in bloom in & great health.Attachment 76727
I also had to purchase one of Hilltop's crosses - a Phalaenopsis (Shelby Katalyn 'Brenda' X Brother Pirate King 'Red') X gigantea 'Hilltop's Giant' CCN / AOS. It was super healthy, in great bloom and was around $35.00. Should be a great parent to work with! Love the mottling on the blooms and it has a clear yellow background that is great! Good sized, flat bloom and a huge plant. Attachment 76728
I have only left there once without a purchase - I love to go there, but my checking account suffers. Oh, well, lunch meat for supper again!! But, even lunch meat tastes better with an orchid centerpiece on the table to enhance the flavor, you know!
p.s. I only posted a few of the pics I took - OB just allows so many pics at one time and I thought this would give others a taste of what lies in store there. You can call Rick or go online to his website and email him. He knows the varieties he has like the back of his hand and he has a really good grasp of all the Eric has there, but Eric has sooooo many odd little ones that it would be impossible to know them all! He does mail out orders and will be glad to talk to you about his inventory.
Here are some more pics that I haven't posted yet! If I duplicate one or two, please excuse:
Attachment 76729 Attachment 76730
Attachment 76737 Attachment 76732
Attachment 76733 Attachment 76734
Attachment 76735 Attachment 76736

orchidsarefun 01-25-2013 02:56 PM

a sight for sore eyes !

I just got back from Hausermanns and they are gearing up for their show in Feb. I love seeing phals in spike almost as much as seeing them in bloom.

Brooke 01-25-2013 03:32 PM

Does Dick Wells have full time help now? I thought he and his wife did the work although they do have a woman who travels with them to shows. With the size of his g/h he can certainly enjoy an extra body to help with the work load. Thinking about repotting all of those 'chids, I'm glad it is him and not me.

I have purchased many orchids from Erich because he does carry the more unusual types. He has some great Lycaste coming down from Hoosier's awarded collection. In your second set of pictures, the second picture down on the right side, do you remember the name of that orchid?

I love the Phal hybrid you got out of his gigantea - I saw it at the show when it was awarded - it was GORGEOUS.

Brooke

Brooke

Stray59 01-25-2013 03:45 PM

Wow brooke - you have caught me in a couple of mental slips - I have been posting Dick's name as Rick and have dropped the "H" from Erich's name - so sorry about this - the only excuse I have is my age and that I have been out of it lately. My mother is ill and I have been definitely stressed out - Thank goodness Dick is a kind and forgiving man! Now I feel like an idiot so all is back to normal!!!!!
As far as the name of the orchid that you asked about - no I have no idea of the name; Erich knows all these by heart and many of these are his stock plants and as such he has not ID's them. A little frustrating, but I know he is overwhelmed right now with all the changes and the new location. Dick said that he is encouraging him to mark them and since I was there last I noticed he has been able to do this with most. I was hoping someone would say "Oh that is a _______, I've been looking for that!" and thus get the ID on it -
Any suggestions anyone?
As far as additional help, his wife and two other women were working the greenhouse yesterday as he had a tour that he was running and had sooo many new ones that he probably had to hire someone fulltime; he did tell me he had three orders going out that would require about 300 orchids to fill. That is pretty common for him I think. I really did not ask him about his workers though.
Hope you enjoy the pics - thanks again for the corrections brooke!

Orchids4ever 01-25-2013 04:35 PM

Nice japonica.
I have a while to wait till i see mine in flower,just started a Spike.
Great Buys.

bballr4567 01-25-2013 05:57 PM

Incredible! They have such little stuff online that I figured that was all they had. This place is awesome.

Im assuming one of the orders is for the Orchid exhibit at the zoo here in Evansville. His greenhouse did the flowers last year. I was sad that the society ordered so many plain big white phals so hopefully that changes this year.