Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Identification Forum (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/identification-forum/)
-   -   renaming question (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/identification-forum/65101-renaming-question.html)

fredr 01-09-2013 02:43 PM

renaming question

Not sure if this is the right place but in the end I'm still a beginner when it comes to classification etc.

I have at least 5 of these plants which I bought as seedlings many years ago from fendersflora. I'm trying to find out whether this cross was ever registered and given a proper name. I can't seem to do that. Can anybody guide me to the place or search engine on RHS or wherever to find out? It is Pot. Little Toshie 'Gold Country'x BLC. Goldenzelle "High Noon'. They are all blooming or about to bloom as if they are on an automatic schedule and I need to make new labels.

cbuchman 01-09-2013 03:03 PM

I found a match in Orchid Wiz:

Rhyncholaeliocattleya Island Girl (Rhyncholaeliocattleya Little Toshie x Rhyncholaeliocattleya Goldenzelle)

fredr 01-09-2013 03:07 PM

I wonder if that is my plant as a Pot. is not exactly a Rhyncholaeliocattleya. I think I'll try to get a hold of Susan Fender herself in Venice.

cbuchman 01-09-2013 03:45 PM

Of course your should try to get a hold of the vendor since that is the definitive source. Also know that there are differences in nomenclature between Sanders and RHS.... POT and RLC are synonymous according to Orchid Wiz.

It was registered by Fender's Flora in 2007

tucker85 01-09-2013 03:48 PM

Carrie is correct. Rlc. Little Toshie and Pot. Little Toshie are the same orchid. Rlc. Island Girl (Rlc. (Pot.) Little Toshie x Rlc.(Blc.) Goldenzella) was register by Susan Fender in 2007.

fredr 01-09-2013 07:53 PM

That would be weird as I didn't buy them until April 2008 when the names on the seedlings were still
Pot. Little Toshie 'Gold Country' x Blc. Goldenzelle 'High Noon'. Susan then told me to send pictures if any turn up especially striking. They are not all the same in color but bloom at the same time.

DavidCampen 01-09-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredr (Post 544209)
That would be weird as I didn't buy them until April 2008 when the names on the seedlings were still
Pot. Little Toshie 'Gold Country' x Blc. Goldenzelle 'High Noon'. ...

I don't understand, what is weird? The names have changed.

silken 01-09-2013 09:09 PM

I find a lot of orchids don't have their hybrid names on the tag even if they were named some time earlier. I just assume its because the sellers don't look them all up on a regular basis and change tags or they think that people want to know the parentage instead.

fredr 01-09-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidCampen (Post 544219)
I don't understand, what is weird? The names have changed.

The weird part is that the Fenders registered this plant in 2007 but sold it as an unnamed seedling in 2008.

RosieC 01-10-2013 05:40 AM

Could be the batch of seedlings had not been re-tagged since the registration :dunno: