Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Oncidium/Odontoglossum Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/)
-   -   Odontocidium Sunlight NN in spike (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/65088-odontocidium-sunlight-nn-spike.html)

NYCorchidman 01-08-2013 10:23 PM

Odontocidium Sunlight NN in spike

3 Attachment(s)
I got this one in bloom last spring with about 8 flowers.
It is such a slow grower. The flowers faded by early May. New growth didn't start until late summer (I wonder if it was the heat that this plant didn't like with odontoglossum in its background), and grew during the fall. It matured larger than the previous pb and I was excited about that!

Then I waited and waited for a spike to show up. Mid December, I noticed small black thing between a leaf and pb. I thought it was a dead spike.
I waited a little longer and the black thing grew above the pb shoulder!
It is truly interesting!

I see about eight buds on the spike and two little branching going on.

This plant produce flowers that are scented with wonderful fragrance. can't wait!!!!

Flowers are heavily spotted bronze/dark orange brown with bright yellow lip.

WhiteRabbit 01-09-2013 04:38 PM

Nice!

NatalieS 01-09-2013 05:17 PM

Was the spike that colour when you bought it originally? Very interesting colour on that! Can't wait to see the flowers.

RosieC 01-10-2013 09:08 AM

Cool,

My Wildcat has similar colour spikes, I think that can be quite normal on Oncidium types with dark flowers.

silken 01-10-2013 12:13 PM

My Onc. Wildcat has a new spike and it is very reddish brown as are the flowers.

ron-in-norcal 01-10-2013 05:19 PM

I have one with a spike that's been coming out for at least 2 months, it keeps getting longer and longer, and starting to branch out. The stem is now about 2 1/2' long. It tried to bloom last year (it's 2nd year with me), but unfortunately I brought it in the house and it got overrun with aphids (almost literally overnight) and the spikes aborted, I got to see about one or 2 blooms. This year I'm leaving it outside an nothing seems to be bothering it, it doesn't seem to mind the cold or anything that we're getting here.

Mine has that nearly black color for the spikes as well.

NYCorchidman 01-13-2013 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit (Post 544175)
Nice!

Thanks!

NYCorchidman 01-13-2013 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NatalieS (Post 544189)
Was the spike that colour when you bought it originally? Very interesting colour on that! Can't wait to see the flowers.

I don't actually remember, but I know it was pretty dark. but that was a year ago and I've been waiting for a spike for soooo long. seeing something black deep in there between a leaf and the pb makes you think something is dead down there.

I'm glad I waited a little longer. I usually don't have much patience. :lol:

NYCorchidman 01-13-2013 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron-in-norcal (Post 544389)
I have one with a spike that's been coming out for at least 2 months, it keeps getting longer and longer, and starting to branch out. The stem is now about 2 1/2' long. It tried to bloom last year (it's 2nd year with me), but unfortunately I brought it in the house and it got overrun with aphids (almost literally overnight) and the spikes aborted, I got to see about one or 2 blooms. This year I'm leaving it outside an nothing seems to be bothering it, it doesn't seem to mind the cold or anything that we're getting here.

Mine has that nearly black color for the spikes as well.

That is such a long time for oncidiums. The only oncidium that took a while like that for me was this gigantic Sharry Baby I had. It took almost (but not over) two months before the first flower opened.

Are you sure your plant wasn't already infested with aphids when you brought it in? Aphids are much more common outside than inside. The only thing I've seen that came in on its own was spider mites.
Anyway, the reason I'm asking is because it just sounds hard to believe!
It would take a lot of aphids to cause enough damage like spike aborting in just one day and aphids don't come into a house like a tropical grasshoppers (like the ones that cover the sky and eat up whatever is on their way).
It would have been very upsetting after waiting for so long.

What is your plant??

NYCorchidman 01-13-2013 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RosieC (Post 544296)
Cool,

My Wildcat has similar colour spikes, I think that can be quite normal on Oncidium types with dark flowers.

I've had some that had dark spots on the spikes, but not completely black like this one.
The flowers are brightly colored on this plant.