Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Off Topic - Totally (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/)
-   -   Everyone in Aus be safe tomorrow! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/65048-aus-safe-tomorrow.html)

greengarden 01-07-2013 05:46 AM

Everyone in Aus be safe tomorrow!

With some of the hottest temps on record tomorrow I hope everyone is safe and has a plan in place if they need to leave their home. Our area has been declared a catastrophic fire danger day and there are already a number of fires burning in our region. Our bath is full to the brim, we have drinking water stored in case the water supply is compromised, mops and towels are in the bathroom in case they are needed.

To help my plants survive the heat my whole patio has been draped in cotton sheets and the watering system is set to go off every hour to keep the sheets moist, if needed it will run continuously.

In my garage currently in various cages having come out of their aviaries today are 6 large parrots, 11 chickens, 3 pet rats and 20 mice, which once the real heat hits will all need to be brought inside with the two dogs and the cat!

The expected top temperature here tomorrow is 43 degrees celsius(110F)...

RosieC 01-07-2013 05:48 AM

Oh no, sounds horrible. Stay safe greengarden and everyone else over there!

greengarden 01-07-2013 06:35 AM

Combined with the expected high winds it is likely to be a worrying day. My husband is a firefighter so I expect he'll be gone pretty early tomorrow.

Paul Mc 01-07-2013 09:29 AM

Oh my!!! Yes, everyone stay safe.

We just experienced those temps for weeks on end. It was horrific and deadly, for plants and people. Take precautions and stay inside as much as possible, and drink lots of water!

silken 01-07-2013 10:15 AM

Stay safe everyone out there. Hope it cools down soon.

greengarden 01-07-2013 10:06 PM

Wow it smells good in my house right now :faint:

I'm sitting in my tiled loungeroom with two dogs(kelpie and basset hound), 1 cat, 11 chickens, 3 galahs, 3 corollas, 4 rats and about 20 mice plus 2 snakes and 2 blue tongue lizards.

mmmmm.... nothing quite like the smell of cramped chickens to brighten your day!

There is a fire about 25 km from here, we are pretty safe where we live but we have a property with shedding, a caravan and where the animal enclosures are that is only about 10km from the fire, not very far on a hot day with strong winds when it's mostly bush around the place!

Pilot 01-07-2013 10:23 PM

Good luck you guys! Hard to imagine its so hot there while here we face negative temps F.

greengarden 01-07-2013 10:27 PM

I know! It blew my kids minds when I told them how cold it was over there :P

If anyone is wondering exactly what we are facing this is the current fire map for our state alone, there are other equally scary ones for other parts of Aus. It's not entirely up to date as the one called Dean's Gap is the one that is now out of control near us and that is currently still marked us under control but they are saying it might go all the way to the great eastern fire break(the ocean)

Current Fires and Incidents - NSW Rural Fire Service

Pilot 01-07-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greengarden (Post 543713)
I know! It blew my kids minds when I told them how cold it was over there :P

If anyone is wondering exactly what we are facing this is the current fire map for our state alone, there are other equally scary ones for other parts of Aus. It's not entirely up to date as the one called Dean's Gap is the one that is now out of control near us and that is currently still marked us under control but they are saying it might go all the way to the great eastern fire break(the ocean)

Current Fires and Incidents - NSW Rural Fire Service

My goodness it all sounds terrible. I wish you all the best and hope for your safety. I live in Colorado, which is not without its own wild fires. We had several terrible ones last year and they're so heart breaking. I've evacuated my family twice in as many years as I've lived in my home.

To shock your kids, the high for my elevation (6500 feet) is expected to be 16F this Saturday with a low of -10F. Lets share temps, shall we?

cbuchman 01-08-2013 09:45 AM

Be safe!