Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Outdoor Gardening (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/outdoor-gardening/)
-   -   Orchids growing in Kenya (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/outdoor-gardening/64949-orchids-growing-kenya.html)

ASP 01-02-2013 07:56 AM

Orchids growing in Kenya

Happy New Year all!

I have recently been back to Kenya and made a concerted effort to photograph all the orchids I came across.
There are lots so part 1 of the instalment is here
ORCHIDS & OBSERVATIONS

If you can identify them please let me know :)

I hope I posted this in the right place...

RosieC 01-02-2013 08:24 AM

Great story, I loved reading about Mavis.

Sorry can't help with what the orchids are, the flowering one near the end might have been a dendrobium but I couldn't see the flowers clearly, some of the others looked more oncidium like, but I really don't know sorry.

ASP 01-02-2013 02:31 PM

Thank you Rosie.

I enlarged the flowers and added it to the post.

richardb 01-02-2013 02:41 PM

You need to refer to the book "ORCHIDS of KENYA" by Joyce Stewart who lived there for many years.
The ISBN is 1 873040 28 8
Richard

ASP 01-02-2013 03:07 PM

Thanks - yes its on my birthday wish list - only 13 days to wait!

AnonYMouse 01-02-2013 05:27 PM

Thanks, enjoyed the installments very much.

RosieC 01-03-2013 05:12 AM

The yellow flowers at the bottom of the post are some sort of Oncidium. The flowers higher up the post, yellow with brown spots, do look to be a dendrobium to me though someone else may have another idea. The 'canes' it grows from, with leaves at the top of each cane and the flowers coming out of spikes from near the top of the cane really look dendrobium like to me.

Susie11 01-03-2013 08:04 AM

My 'guess' would be some kind of grammatophyllum species. I loved living in Kenya when I was there back in the late eighties. I loved Maasai Mara and Amboseli etc. I would go back to Mombassa tomorrow if I could.

ASP 01-03-2013 09:33 AM

thanks for looking - Thanks Rosie, Ive changed it to "canes" that was the word I was looking for - Ill blame the fuzzy brain on a slow recovery from New Year!

I'm fairly sure all the spotty yellow ones are Ansellia africana... I could be wrong - hence why Ive posted on here.
The bottom one my Mother has since told me was originally part of an old Cymbidium she gave my Aunt over 20 years ago which she in turn got from her mother who got it from someone else.

ron-in-norcal 01-03-2013 05:12 PM

Thanks for posting that blog with photos. Interesting seeing about a part of the world I've not been to. Surprised to see such flowering from a cymbidium in an area that warm. Does it cool off much at night?