Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   Blc. Mem. Crispin Rosales 'Carmela' AM/AOS (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/64935-blc-mem-crispin-rosales-carmela-am-aos.html)

InspirChid1712 01-01-2013 10:13 AM

Blc. Mem. Crispin Rosales 'Carmela' AM/AOS

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Everybody!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Another favorite is in bloom again! I got this from Odom's Orchids 2 years ago, after researching and selecting a first-class LARGE purple Cattleya. This plant has met every expectation! It is really quite easy to grow and blooms 4x per year.

[ok, I cheated a bit! I split the plant in half and put both sections in the same pot. Now I get 2 flowerings per bi-annual bloom season, one from each half of the plant!]

This time, the blooms are around 6", which is pretty small for this plant (I think due to crappy winter light). Normally the summer flowering has blooms 8"+! While it is a big plant, it is still rather space efficient... the growths grow straight up, instead of a rambling mess that sprawls everywhere and swallows up everything in its path (you guys know how THAT goes...!). It also has a beautiful, light fragrance in the morning.

If anybody is looking for a large purple that isn't fussy and never fails to disappoint, this is your plant! :biggrin:

Paul Mc 01-01-2013 10:22 AM

Well, what a great bloom for Te new year! Congrats!

billc 01-01-2013 10:33 AM

It's a bit too floofy for me, but it's got incredible coloring in the throat.

Bill

Lagoon 01-01-2013 12:36 PM

Ooooh I love this one -- gorgeous colour :D

tucker85 01-01-2013 04:13 PM

Absolutely beautiful! I agree with you, the growth habit of Crispin Rosales is excellent with the pseudobulbs straight up and fairly close together. Excellent growing job.

WhiteRabbit 01-01-2013 05:28 PM

Fabulous!

bballr4567 01-01-2013 05:36 PM

That does look great! Going on the wish list for sure!

Paula Frayne 01-02-2013 08:57 AM

I agree, it's so beautiful! I have been eyeing this one for awhile and I think that you just helped me make my decision. Thanks for the info.:)

denvervet 01-02-2013 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have had a Blc. Shinfong Little Sun 'young min golden boy' which blooms flourescent orange and had a bloom when I bought it two years ago this March. I have not been successful in getting it to bloom yet. What are the best conditions for this orchid? Here is pic of it. I have it in a mixture of medium bark, sphagum moss, charcoal. It gets late afternoon sun for about 2 hours and I have to water it sometimes 2 X a week as it dries out quickly in our no humidity climate. I feel 2 x a month with miracle grow full strength. Its in a cool spot too.

InspirChid1712 01-03-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denvervet (Post 542548)
I have had a Blc. Shinfong Little Sun 'young min golden boy' which blooms flourescent orange and had a bloom when I bought it two years ago this March. I have not been successful in getting it to bloom yet. What are the best conditions for this orchid? Here is pic of it. I have it in a mixture of medium bark, sphagum moss, charcoal. It gets late afternoon sun for about 2 hours and I have to water it sometimes 2 X a week as it dries out quickly in our no humidity climate. I feel 2 x a month with miracle grow full strength. Its in a cool spot too.

Looks to me like it definitely needs more light above all else! Two hours of sun at that time of day usually isn't sufficient for cattleyas to bloom. (I'm battling low light with my own plants!) Is it possible to increase the duration of light, perhaps in a south window? I also think it would much prefer morning sun and through the afternoon. Orchids generally like a rise in temperature, lighting, and humidity early in the morning to get them going (just like how we usually wake up when the sun comes up... unless its one of those "rough" mornings... hehe!).

When you say "cool room", what is the estimated day/night temp? Catts can usually take extremes, but I go by this: If I'd be reasonably comfortable being shirtless where I grow my plants, the temperature is usually fine.

The bark mix and watering frequency sound fine, as long as the roots are drying out sufficiently in between. (I also add chopped styrofoam to my mix... keeps it light and airy! Catts also seem to love a blend of just bark and osmunda) However, I'd spread out the fertilizing more evenly and at a more diluted ratio. Thats like trying to exist on one HUGE meal per week, rather than 3 average meals per day. I also usually use a blend MiracleGro Tomato Food, and some other brand's 30-10-10. I vary the ratio of each with every fertilizing treatment (gives them a balanced diet, so there isn't an excess or deficiency of any one nutrient). Once in a while through spring and summer, I throw in some Bloom Booster, and switch over to that primarily when I know each plants' bloom season is approaching. I water first with plain water, then dunk them in a bucket of fertilizer solution at 1/3-strength with every watering. Regardless of what fertilizer blend you use, the highly diluted ratio on a consistent basis is VERY IMPORTANT so you aren't "force feeding" and thus burning the roots.

Hope this helps!!!!! Let me know if you need any clarification or have questions! The plant looks healthy... just needs an extra boost to bloom and thrive! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

PS- Mist with a spray bottle every day in the morning... it will LOVE it!
PPS- Sorry, didn't mean to write you a book!