Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Hybrids (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/)
-   -   Phalenopsis ?? White, leaf margins purple (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/64869-phalenopsis-white-leaf-margins-purple.html)

ATXOrchids 12-28-2012 09:16 PM

Phalenopsis ?? White, leaf margins purple

1 Attachment(s)
Hi folks,

I'm growing this Phal. in a terrarium under a single 6500k CFL. Would someone tell me if I should be concerned about the new leaf and existing leaf margins being purple?

I'm thinking the light level may be too high.

Thanks

Call_Me_Bob 12-28-2012 10:52 PM

Looks fine to me! Sometimes they do that in higher light, I try to strive for that. Its not harmful!

ATXOrchids 12-29-2012 12:48 AM

Thanks Bob. I'm using a simple iPhone light meter and the level is up there at 5000fc, so I'm not surprised. As long as I'm not burning the leaves or anything, that's good.

Call_Me_Bob 12-29-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATXOrchids (Post 541696)
Thanks Bob. I'm using a simple iPhone light meter and the level is up there at 5000fc, so I'm not surprised. As long as I'm not burning the leaves or anything, that's good.

WOW! thats high! Judging by the leaves though, it doesn't look unhappy, just be careful and keep an eye on it. I always try to give mine as much as they can take. What light meter do you use? The app i use is the White goods Lightmeter

ATXOrchids 12-29-2012 05:02 PM

Yep, that's the one. But taking a reading is highly variable because I can't get into the terrarium to take the reading. I just did another test holding the light the same distance and offset from the Phal and got more like 3k fc.

Call_Me_Bob 12-29-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATXOrchids (Post 541817)
Yep, that's the one. But taking a reading is highly variable because I can't get into the terrarium to take the reading. I just did another test holding the light the same distance and offset from the Phal and got more like 3k fc.

I've found the reading differs dramatically if you hold the camera pointing straight up from the plant, or if you tilt it directly at the light.

lepetitmartien 12-31-2012 11:26 AM

A little violet is good, it means there the right level of light. Don't go further or it'll burn leaves.

ATXOrchids 12-31-2012 11:35 AM

Thanks little Martien!

tucker85 12-31-2012 12:01 PM

The orchid looks good to me. A few phals have naturally occuring purple edges on the leaves and on a few of mine the entire under-side of the leaf is purple by nature. Others have purple edges when they get high light levels. I grow mine outdoors in Florida where they often get pretty high light. The edges of the leaves and the new leaves are often purple and some of mine have purple freckles on the leaves. It does indicate that the plant is being grown at the upper end of it's light level tolerance.