Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Orchids in Bloom (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchids-in-bloom/)
-   -   Christmas Blooms (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchids-in-bloom/64862-christmas-blooms.html)

silken 12-28-2012 06:06 PM

Christmas Blooms

8 Attachment(s)
Here's what was blooming for me over Christmas. The Bc. Maikai has 2 other spikes and 5 more total buds to open. The Den. Rainbow Dance has quite a few more large buds for a total of 14 blooms when they open.

Paul Mc 12-28-2012 06:08 PM

Those are gorgeous!!!! Congrats!

silken 12-28-2012 06:13 PM

Thanks Paul. A couple are first blooms for me so always fun.

FairyInTheFlowers 12-28-2012 06:44 PM

I'm glad you finally got the stubborn Loddiaca to bloom!! Very gorgeous!!

silken 12-28-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlazingAugust (Post 541611)
I'm glad you finally got the stubborn Loddiaca to bloom!! Very gorgeous!!

Thanks! Did you get this one from Paramount? Just curious as it didn't have their tag when I bought it from you but I know they carried this one. It is very white rather than pink compared to all the photos I have seen of this cross. Not sure if its because it was a first bloom and I also treated it with Merit in the summer. It will be interesting to see if there is a change next bloom time. It is lightly scented.

FairyInTheFlowers 12-28-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silken (Post 541613)
Thanks! Did you get this one from Paramount? Just curious as it didn't have their tag when I bought it from you but I know they carried this one. It is very white rather than pink compared to all the photos I have seen of this cross. Not sure if its because it was a first bloom and I also treated it with Merit in the summer. It will be interesting to see if there is a change next bloom time. It is lightly scented.

Yes, this came from Paramount, and is actually on of the first three orchids I ever bought! Normally the first bloom on any orchid is weak in colour or form compared to the blooms that come in the future, so I would expect it to improve next blooming.

tucker85 12-28-2012 08:25 PM

Those are all beautiful and the photographs are excellent.

silken 12-28-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlazingAugust (Post 541631)
Yes, this came from Paramount, and is actually on of the first three orchids I ever bought! Normally the first bloom on any orchid is weak in colour or form compared to the blooms that come in the future, so I would expect it to improve next blooming.

Good to know. I don't always see a big change on subsequent blooms. But I have seen improvements on some. Considering both parents have more colour than this I would have expected it to be pink. They seem to take the medium pink of the loddigesii parent usually rather than the aurantiaca red/orange colour

silken 12-28-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tucker85 (Post 541634)
Those are all beautiful and the photographs are excellent.

Thanks tucker85!

WhiteRabbit 12-28-2012 10:22 PM

Fabulous!