Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Dendrobium Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/)
-   -   Dendrobium aggregatum, lindleyi variation in bloom (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/64253-dendrobium-aggregatum-lindleyi-variation-bloom.html)

Stray59 12-02-2012 03:54 PM

Dendrobium aggregatum, lindleyi variation in bloom

7 Attachment(s)
Hey Orchid Lovers - :D
Here are a couple of pics of my Dendrobium aggregatum, lindleyi variation, that I mounted a last year. I was so surprised and elated when I noted a bloom spike! I took TONS of pics of the spike developing and then blooming. I could almost do a time-lapse of development. example - Attachment 75053 Attachment 75054
I have since remounted it along with some additional plants, onto a cork log. You can see the nylon cords still in place, but each of the plant groups have new root growth with a few new leaves here and there. It should be perfect to move into winter for a little rest, then hopefully one of the plants will bloom next spring - please.gif. I will definitely post pics of that - !!!
Hope you like them!
Steve
Attachment 75045 Attachment 75046 Attachment 75047 Attachment 75048 Attachment 75049 so - what do you think??? :biggrin:

WhiteRabbit 12-02-2012 10:55 PM

Nice! I got one of these earlier this year ... been growing well, hope I can get it to bloom ...

Stray59 12-03-2012 12:59 AM

Sonya:
Make sure you put it somewhere cool this winter and almost starve it for moisture. I put mine in a back corner and totally forgot it until it started to form a bloom stalk. Then it caught my eye! The temp drop and dry winter is what sets the bloom for these beauts!
Steve

gnathaniel 12-03-2012 11:46 AM

Beautiful! I love this and related Dens. Looks more like lindleyi, though, not jenkinsii, which is much smaller and blooms with shorter and fewer-flowered racemes. Thanks for the spike development pics, too, very cool! :)

Stray59 12-03-2012 12:05 PM

Oops - lindleyi it is!

Hey everyone -
Originally I had mislabled the above pictured plant, but gnathaniel was quick to catch the mistake. I have asked a mod to change the title to reflect the accurate variant of this plant. It is Dendrobium aggregatum, lindleyi variation, not as originally labeled, Den aggragatum, jenkensii var.
Thanks,
Steve

(gnathaniel:
Good catch -:bowing!!! Boy - I am glad you decided to look. I had both at one time and when I was writing the original post I had jenkensii in mind:dumb:. I will go through and edit my posts. I really appreciate the correction!
Sorry to everyone that looked earlier!:blushing:
Steve)

Leafmite 12-03-2012 12:10 PM

I really like your mount! It looks great! :)

gnathaniel 12-03-2012 12:30 PM

I still find these confusing to differentiate, made worse by the fact that their onetime 'unified-species' status led to hybridization btw the two without always labeling them as such. I have one seedling that I think is probably lindleyi x jenkinsii (Den. Ueang Pheung), but I got it labeled as "aggregatum" with no further info. Oh, well...