Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Semi-Hydroponic Culture (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/semi-hydroponic-culture/)
-   -   Paph lowii for Semi/Hydro (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/semi-hydroponic-culture/64211-paph-lowii-semi-hydro.html)

AGibson001 11-30-2012 11:12 AM

Paph lowii for Semi/Hydro

I recently purchased a Paph. lowii (I will post pictures this evening) It is a large healthy plant, growing new leaves and what I believe is the beginning of a spike in one of the crowns. It is in bark, charcoal, perlite now; however, I have a 10lb bag of Hydroton and am looking for a candidate to try S/H. Will a paph like lowii do well in S/H or should my first foray into S/H be a phal or other epiphytic species? Let me know Ray :biggrin:

isurus79 11-30-2012 11:58 AM

I know I'm not Ray, but Paphs and Phrags are super successful with s/h. A huge number of success stories are with these two groups, including my plants here at home. I say go for it!

AGibson001 11-30-2012 12:01 PM

OK Ill give it a shot! This particular specimen needs a repot anyway. There appears to be a spike forming, would you recommend that I wait until it blooms or try to get it into a new pot now before the spike really gets going?

isurus79 11-30-2012 12:04 PM

I just did a Phrag that I got in the mail with a full spike, split it in half and threw it in s/h. Never skipped a beat and is now on its second flower from the same spike.

Call_Me_Bob 11-30-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGibson001 (Post 535841)
OK Ill give it a shot! This particular specimen needs a repot anyway. There appears to be a spike forming, would you recommend that I wait until it blooms or try to get it into a new pot now before the spike really gets going?

to echo isuru, i wouldnt worry about it. at work i repot paphs in spike all the time with no ill affects.

AGibson001 11-30-2012 12:15 PM

Great thanks for the advice isurus. Now I can repot with confidence. Hopefully soon I will be posting pictures of extraordinary root growth in S/H! :)

Ray 11-30-2012 12:56 PM

You have done well, grasshoppers.

AGibson001 12-03-2012 11:57 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the delay with the pictures. The Paph lowii is in a container that is just a shade narrower than the old one, so the roots are pressed against the side, but there is room to grow down into the reservoir and in the center of the container. It is just starting to send up a spike so I hope this doesnt shock it too much. Next is a Paph spicerianum which was in a 2" pot and now has plenty of room to grow. The two in the tall containers are a Paph richardianum (lowii var richardianum) and a Paph hirsutissimum, these also have plent of room to grow.

The Orchid Boy 12-04-2012 04:31 PM

Hope all goes well for you! I'm hoping to try a Phrag. pearcei in semi-hydro soon.

AGibson001 12-12-2012 05:16 PM

Thanks! good luck with the Phrag too. I dont have any experience with that genus, but from everything I heard they are perfect for S/H.