Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   beginner plants (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/64026-beginner-plants.html)

SlipperGirl 11-19-2012 08:29 PM

beginner plants

:hello
I have been wanting to buy a porroglossum teoguei and symphyglossum sanguineum but I have never grown them before, so I was wondering if they are easy to grow or not easy to grow. :thanx:

Rowangreen 11-20-2012 06:42 AM

I don't know these plants, but the general rule is anything is easy in the right conditions! Your best bet is to do some googling and look up everything you can and see if you can provide the right conditions. Also if they are reasonably cheap! If so, and you really like them, take a risk.

SlipperGirl 11-30-2012 03:08 PM

Thanks Rowangreen I think I am going to get the plants.

ronaldhanko 12-01-2012 03:03 PM

Both of these are cool growing plants that do not do very well in heat. The Porroglossum is very similar to Masdevallia and should be grown under similar conditions. The Symphyglossum (also known as Cochlioda) should be grown under similar conditions as cool Oncidiums. If you can provide conditions such as these, you should be okay.

gnathaniel 12-01-2012 03:18 PM

Never grown either species but I suspect both will like and possibly require intermediate-cool temps, moderately high humidity, and abundant fairly pure water (like rain, distilled, or RO). If you can't provide all or any of these conditions then it may be kind of a crapshoot as to whether you can grow them well, though many orchid species are surprisingly tolerant of variance from the norms of natural habitat.

NOT trying to dissuade you from trying these species, rather trying to prepare you for the possible failure that is part of growing any orchid outside of natural habitat, failure (plant decline/death) becoming more likely the further your conditions vary from native ones.

If you're interested in doing really well by these plants, I'd suggest buying and studying the Bakers' culture sheets on them. Ray also has some great info on his site about 'stretching' temperature conditions, though things like high-TDS water may be harder to work around. Of course, if you already have a cool greenhouse with a pure water source then you may be all set. :biggrin: Good luck, you have great taste in orchids! :)

BTW the Symphyglossum seems more widely known as Cochlioda sanguinea, while the 'official' name according to WCSP was recently changed to Oncidium strictum, so if you have trouble finding info online try some of the alternate names.

King_of_orchid_growing:) 12-01-2012 03:20 PM

Both plants you mentioned would be considered more for intermediate level hobbyists. They are not the most difficult orchids to grow in the hobby, but they're not the easiest either.

There are far sturdier orchids out there for you to grow. It also depends on where you plan to grow your plants and what that environment's parameters are (i.e. temperature, relative humidity, etc.).

I recommend epiphytical Laelias to those who are just starting out. Many of them are very temperature tolerant, can grow to be large specimens, are exceptionally hardy provided they receive an adequate amount of light, and have showy flowers which can be fragrant.

King_of_orchid_growing:) 12-01-2012 03:25 PM

Btw, if I had to pick between the 2 plants you asked about, the Symphoglossum sanguineum (aka Cochlioda sanguinea) is the easier one to grow, imo.

SlipperGirl 12-11-2012 03:31 PM

Thanks this helps alot :)