Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Advanced Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/)
-   -   Do I top my vanda? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/63969-top-vanda.html)

BradGC 11-17-2012 12:37 AM

Do I top my vanda?

My vanda is getting a bit leggy and I was wondering if I topped it below all those aerial roots, what would the chances be of getting a keikei on top of the stump left in the pot? Is there any sort of hormone that I can use?

Andre 11-17-2012 08:49 AM

I have had poor success Doug this. With that said, I live in a temperate environment. They don't even like to be repotted for me. I'm sure that many people have had no problems topping a leggy Vanda. I have learnt my lesson and won't try again due to the limitations of my growing conditions.

BradGC 11-17-2012 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic , I forgot to post earlier

trdyl 11-17-2012 10:34 AM

If it had more actively growing roots I would agree with topping it. I seems to me that it is not getting enough water though. I think topping it now would be a mistake. How long have you had it?

Bud 11-17-2012 04:54 PM

its a terette Vanda, you can divide it into three(making sure its got 4 roots at least in the cuttings=apply keiki paste on the lover cut stems)....your grow zone has humidity in the air and it is now spring in your area....going onwards to warm growing months....your Vanda can be weaned slowly to direct sun ....maybe if you dont get much frost in your grow zone it can be planted in your yard and make hedges out of it in 4 to 5 years...otherwise it can remain potted and placed indoors if there is frost

BradGC 11-17-2012 08:39 PM

I've had it for about 6 months from a local vanda grower.

It's semi terete, the leaves have big slits in them on the top, it gets 6 hours direct sun all year round (that's why its so dark maroon colour) .

How can you tell that it doesn't get enough water?

trdyl 11-18-2012 12:49 PM

Hi Brad,

The new leaf looks a bit wrinkled and I am not seeing any growing root tips. This I why I am thinking it is not getting enough water.

goodgollymissmolly 11-18-2012 02:43 PM

"..maybe if you dont get much frost in your grow zone it can be planted in your yard and make hedges out of it in 4 to 5 years"

So I can plant my Vanda in the ground and make a hedge? Who knew? Is there somewhere I can see one of those hedges so I can do it?

BradGC 11-19-2012 07:41 AM

I was interested as well in the hedges?
Not sure if they grow well in soil or as terrestrial plants, I think the roots would just follow the surface of the ground and wouldn't burrow