Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Phalenopsis (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/63929-phalenopsis.html)

PegS 11-14-2012 07:10 PM

Phalenopsis

Hi everyone. I posted to this board about a year and a half ago and then got involved with a divorce and unable to post until now.
I left many beloved orchids behind including some gorgeous mounted ones. Now that I am on my own again, I am starting to collect again. My question is this; Phals are supposed to be the easiest orchids to grow but for the life of me am unable to get one to re bloom. A friend at work says she cuts hers all the way down and gets a new growth which in turn blooms. I am stumped. Phil...if you are still on this forum and you are reading this....HELP!!!! Thanks. Peg.

Phal grower 11-14-2012 08:21 PM

I would not cut down any part of a Phal except the old flower spike maybe... Your friend at work might be mistaken. This is a great forum to learn about Phals. and other orchids. Pics are a great way to diagnose probs. GL

silken 11-14-2012 10:29 PM

I'm assuming you meant your friend cuts the flower spike all the way down when the flowers wilt. Some people cut it only part way back just above a node and often the plant will branch out the spike and rebloom again. You can try that if the plant is healthy. Otherwise cut the spike right down and let it grow some more roots and leaves. In the fall often giving them about 4 weeks of cooler temps induces them to bloom. They should get good light at this time and nothing below around 55F or it will be too cold. also don't overdue it on the nitrogen fertilizer at that time which encourages green growth rather than blooms.

cbuchman 11-15-2012 09:19 AM

Don't feel bad. I have the worst luck with Phals! After 20 years I'm finally getting some success through benign neglect. Some of my success is due to seedling heat mats which now keep my Phals a big warmer in the winter months. It really has helped tremendously and I now have 2 that are on their second spike, which is a first for me.

tucker85 11-15-2012 10:38 AM

I don't think phals are the easiest orchids to grow. I think they're popular because they can survive in the low light and low humidity conditions in a normal home. If they aren't blooming, try to find a way to increase the amount of light they receive. Cool temperatures do trigger spiking and many phals start spiking this time of year.

WhiteRabbit 11-15-2012 04:37 PM

I'm another who still has trouble growing Phals :p. I do agree that more light might help if yours grow fine, but don't bloom. What kind of light are they getting?

Gazpacho 11-16-2012 02:23 AM

I'm getting the hang of orchid speak. If all the experts say its a beginner's orchid, I'm starting to wonder whether they mean that only beginners are niaive enough to attempt to grow them. I now have around 50 orchids but I spend most of my time stressing about the phals!

I've moved them from all the others to the top of the stairwell where all the heat goes.

Gaz

mattryan 11-17-2012 09:52 AM

Peg welcome back to OB. This is the first year of getting all the phals to spike that I was trying to. I have had alot better success with onc types. I believe that it takes some of them a year or two to get used to your surroundings and revert back to their normal flowering schedule. My bane is cymbidiums, still trying not to kill them let alone get 1 to bloom ;( Good luck!

Cheryl

trdyl 11-17-2012 01:15 PM

Welcome back!

They are easy to grow once you know what they need. If you can keep them in an East window then it'll get enough light and when it starts getting chilly outside in the Fall the nightly drop in temperature will trigger spiking.

What really make these so attractive to many growers is the fast turn around from flask to first blooms which can be three years in some cases.