Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Oncidium/Odontoglossum Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/)
-   -   Super Fragrant Miltoniopsis (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/63928-super-fragrant-miltoniopsis.html)

NYCorchidman 11-14-2012 03:51 PM

Super Fragrant Miltoniopsis

This is one of the greatest finds from Trader Joe's!
I had no intention of buying any plants this time (who am I kidding? :rofl:)

but then I noticed wonderful scent of miltoniopsis coming from somewhere. I followed it and then I found this!
I was pleasantly surprised that all the flowers looked so nice and fresh. Without a question, this guy hopped in my cart. :biggrin:

They had lots of miltoniopsis during the early summer, but almost all of them looked dried up and dead.

This time, there were three of them, white, yellow, and this pink one. They all looked good, but only the pink one had scent, so I picked this one.

There are three spikes, one with five flowers open, one with one gigantic sized (almost the size of my hand! never seen it this big) flower, and one with four buds. It looks like there were two more spikes but cut off long ago.
There are also three new shoots growing.

I'm loving the color and the fragrance! :)

nenella 11-14-2012 05:02 PM

GREAT FIND!!!!!!!!! and scented too!!!! They are so pretty!
I have had 2 shots at this species for now both were presents..... :cloud9:...
For when I will live in cooler climates.... although after this 2012 year I'm wondering where? as been the coldest and rainiest year ever....

Orquiadicto 11-14-2012 05:16 PM

Beautiful. And scented too. Got to find one. They are my partner's favorite orchid.

silken 11-14-2012 05:38 PM

Great find! Milts are some of my favs. I just love the blooms.

cbuchman 11-14-2012 06:23 PM

Great Find. Hmmmm I think I'll check our my Trader Joe's tomorrow :) I may have one hop right into my cart too

I bought a grape colored one from Trader Joe's over the summer and it is doing well with 3 new growths.

bellini girl 11-14-2012 10:42 PM

Excellent find. Leaving that in the store would have been gross abuse and abandonment :rofl: What's a person to do

Pilot 11-14-2012 10:49 PM

Beautiful! I don't have any of these and I didn't know they could be fragrant! Hmm.... Lol

Lagoon 11-15-2012 02:30 PM

NICE SCORE! Love it!!

NYCorchidman 11-16-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nenella (Post 533415)
GREAT FIND!!!!!!!!! and scented too!!!! They are so pretty!
I have had 2 shots at this species for now both were presents..... :cloud9:...
For when I will live in cooler climates.... although after this 2012 year I'm wondering where? as been the coldest and rainiest year ever....

I would love to live in cooler climates so I could grow lots of these and cymbidiums! :)

NYCorchidman 11-16-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orquiadicto (Post 533421)
Beautiful. And scented too. Got to find one. They are my partner's favorite orchid.

Your partner has a great taste in plants! ;)

Many of these plants are nicely scented. You'll be very pleased! :)