Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cypripedium Alliance - Paphiopedilum (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-paphiopedilum/)
-   -   A New Complex Paph! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-paphiopedilum/63926-complex-paph.html)

NYCorchidman 11-14-2012 03:34 PM

A New Complex Paph!

So I decided to hit the flower market in a while.
I found one store with a few nice complex paphs.
I kept looking at this huge green/orange/copper tone with spots on the dorsal.
Then I saw this spotted one with a tag. There were three others with the same tag that read "Michael Crazy Horse Sib #M6".
Now, I did hear the name crazy horse before. It is used in complex paph to introduce brown color or spots if I remembered correctly.

One of them had a flower, it had a real nice shape, but the spots looked rather washed out. I have one spotted complex with very clear color.
I thought I would get one just for variety's sake. :biggrin:

Knowing that flowers with the same tag can vary in shape and color, I wanted to bring home the one that's already in bloom, but then I ended up with a multi-growth (6) with two spikes.
One spike has two buds on, so I'm guessing the flower size might be smaller than its full potential, but I would still love it if they both make it.
Then there's a low sheath or bud emerging on another growth.
I'm so excited to find out what the flowers will look like! :)

can't get enough of looking at the huge sheath slowly coming out of the plant.

WhiteRabbit 11-14-2012 05:49 PM

nice find!

orchidsarefun 11-14-2012 05:57 PM

how much do these cost at the market ? I don't believe Chicago has a flower market, so we are stuck with going to the nurseries....or getting over the internet. It's much nicer being able to pick out your own and closely vet it before buying.

NYCorchidman 11-16-2012 01:06 AM

Well, here in NYC, the complex paphs in bloom cost quite a bit. (well, that's to my standard).
I normally go get these at an area known as a flower district, which seems to have the best price.
One store sells these types for $35 and two other stores sell these for $45 plus tax.
At other flower shops around the city, these are not all that common, but if found, they cost well over $100.
I'm not sure about online vendor as I don't see many who offer these.
Seedlings are sold at around $25 and above, divisions cost much more.
Depending on the quality and the breeding line, these can cost hundreds to thousands of dollars.
Yes, crazy!

NYCorchidman 11-16-2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit (Post 533433)
nice find!

Thanks, I do think so as well, but with great variability within the cross, I'm half excited and half scared.
I hope it turns out nicely when open! :)

will find out soon.

NYCorchidman 11-25-2012 12:34 AM

The first flower has been open for a few days now.
The flower is very waxy/glossy as expected, and I like that! :)

It looks almost identical to the one already in bloom at the same store I bought this one at.
The good news is that the second bud tucked underneath the flower is also growing nicely.

Now, I wonder about the flower not completely spreading out nearly flat like many complex paphs flowers do.
Maybe only the super expensive ones are that way, or or those flat open flowers somehow manipulated and forced to look nicer?

quiltergal 11-25-2012 12:50 PM

I'm guessing that it is Paph. Michael X Paph. Crazy Horse. It currently is unregistered possibly because one of Paph. Michaels parents (Blanche Moore) has unknown parents. Blanche Moore was registered way back in 1904 so perhaps the records were lost. Who knows. Anyway it's very nice. It may flatten out in time. Flatness is all in the breeding.

Kevinator 11-25-2012 02:44 PM

WOW is all I can say.

NYCorchidman 11-25-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quiltergal (Post 534981)
I'm guessing that it is Paph. Michael X Paph. Crazy Horse. It currently is unregistered possibly because one of Paph. Michaels parents (Blanche Moore) has unknown parents. Blanche Moore was registered way back in 1904 so perhaps the records were lost. Who knows. Anyway it's very nice. It may flatten out in time. Flatness is all in the breeding.

Thank you for the information!
The white tag that came with this plant looks very different than those yellow tags. Well, now I know what it is more correctly.

I personally prefer flat round flowers on complex paphs. It turns out those are very expensive (in the thousands!). Ones I usually see at local stores are rarely flat. Maybe that's why they are offered at much lower price (but still pricy compared to the price of other common orchids).

Well, I like the fact that there are more than one flowers at one time, so I will at least enjoy the flower show.

Can you recommend any good books on complex hybrids??
or can you recommend ones with large round flowers on relatively small sized plants?

NYCorchidman 11-25-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinator (Post 534995)
WOW is all I can say.

Do you like it?
I like the glossy texture. I wish the dotted lines on the dorsal were spots instead. well, well, this is the risk I took when buying plants in buds.