Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Dendrobium Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/)
-   -   how long 'til blooms open? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/63922-til-blooms.html)

escualida 11-14-2012 01:34 AM

how long 'til blooms open?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all, I don't have much experience with Dens but I have a Den. Christy Dawn that has the beginnings of some flower buds (I think) and I was wondering how long does it generally take from this stage until the flowers bloom?

Also, I was told to give this plant a sort of winter rest where I should water less often and not fertilize, if these are buds do I still do this?

Also, it has a keiki growing out of one of the older canes... is that bad?

cbuchman 11-14-2012 07:11 AM

Congratulations! They looks like buds to me. Not sure how long they will take, though.

escualida 11-14-2012 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I'm really confused now because it also seems to be growing a new cane. Should I still be giving it a rest? Or should I start watering and fertilizing again?

cbuchman 11-14-2012 02:06 PM

Adriana, I am not a Den expert. I have a few and don't give mine a rest. My instincts say that if yours is actively growing, it isn't in a rest period.

escualida 11-14-2012 02:18 PM

So do you think it will enter a rest period at a different time?

I've heard of people not giving a sufficient rest period and then the plant either not producing good blooms, or having their buds turn into keikis instead of flowers...

Bud 11-14-2012 02:21 PM

Its pollen parent, Den. christyanum, from Burma and Northern Thailand, makes it a very compact grower. This little hybrid can flower 2-3 times a year from both old and new canes, with the brilliant orange-lipped flowers lasting for months. Adding to its overall charm are the fine black hairs which cover the 4 to 8 inches tall self-supporting canes. Easily grown outdoors in frost-free areas, this is a definite must for those who love a spectacular show on a compact plant.
You need not give this winter rest. Continue fertilizer and your watering regimen for this....give it bright shaded light and hot to warm culture....Don’t be scared of kiekies, if its roots grow five inches long you twist and pull it from the cane and stick it on the media beside the mother plant.
The buds might open its blooms in 4 to 5 weeks….

escualida 11-14-2012 02:27 PM

Thanks Bud!

LOL I'm not afraid of Keikis per se, but I'd rather have flowers at the moment.

Ok so I guess I'll start watering and fertilizing a little bit more, thanks so much for the advice!

nenella 11-14-2012 02:33 PM

Cool Buds! I agree with what's been said above you have buds so keep on watering ! look forward to seeing pics of the blooms!