Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Propagation (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/propagation/)
-   -   Making my own cloning paste? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/propagation/62837-own-cloning-paste.html)

jax133jax 10-12-2012 10:51 AM

Making my own cloning paste?

I am a high school student in California, and for my senior project I am studying Orchids, Iv'e decided to learn about cloning, I already have a few pastes that ive been expiramenting with. I thought it would be an amazing accomplishment to create my own cloning paste. Im in the prosses of researching cloning pastes, but I havent found much about actually MAKING it. If any of you know about the chemical make up, or how the paste actually causes the orchid to produce a kekei, then i would love to hear from you.
Thank you so much,
Jax

naoki 10-12-2012 08:04 PM

Jax, so you are not doing meristem cloning, but you are interested in keiki paste, right? If so, you might want to learn about a plant hormone called cytokinin. I believe it was originally discovered from coconut milk in 40's to 50's.

Ray 10-13-2012 10:40 AM

and… The hormones are dispersed in lanolin.

DavidCampen 10-13-2012 11:44 AM

Here is an interesting catalog to look at:
Home Page - PhytoTechnology

lepetitmartien 10-13-2012 12:25 PM

:evil:(this thread is full of mysterious messages full of hints)

klauts 11-26-2012 04:22 PM

its really quite simple 600 to 1000 ppm benzylaminopurine lanolin paste is applied to dormant nodes.
to make the paste dissolve the BAP in 99% iso with a couple drops of dish soap and then mix into heated lanolin shake well for at lease 15 minutes and then ad back to heat to evaporate any alcohol left in the paste. let cool and apply to dormant nodes.

DavidCampen 11-26-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klauts (Post 535139)
its really quite simple 600 to 1000 ppm benzylaminopurine lanolin paste is applied to dormant nodes.
to make the paste dissolve the BAP in 99% iso with a couple drops of dish soap and then mix into heated lanolin shake well for at lease 15 minutes and then ad back to heat to evaporate any alcohol left in the paste. let cool and apply to dormant nodes.

For people in the US, an interesting question is, is there any benzylaminopurine, benzylaminopurine paste or other keki paste that has been approved by the EPA for sale under the regulations of the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act?

kerristc 10-29-2014 12:35 AM

I know this is an older post but klauts do you know how many grams of BAP into how much lanolin to get the 1000 ppm?

Orchid-gurl 02-23-2016 06:22 PM

Thank you. but why the alcohol and the soap. any reason ?
Quote:

Originally Posted by klauts (Post 535139)

Ray 02-24-2016 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerristc (Post 711621)
I know this is an older post but klauts do you know how many grams of BAP into how much lanolin to get the 1000 ppm?

1 ppm = 1 mg per kg, so 1000 ppm = 1 g/kg