Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Pests & Diseases (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/)
-   -   Cleaning with alcohol? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/62803-cleaning-alcohol.html)

twostride 10-10-2012 12:03 PM

Cleaning with alcohol?

Hi all,
I've encountered a lot of conflicting advice about cleaning orchid leaves with rubbing alcohol. Some sources suggest it should only be used to kill pests. Others indicate that it could be used as a preventative measure.
So what are your thoughts on cleaning orchid leaves and taking preventative measures to avoid the onset of diseases or the attack of pests.
Thanks!

Orquidia 10-10-2012 12:21 PM

I used all the time alcohol to kill pests. That work for me instead to use heavy pesticide. Use the 70% alcohol.

twostride 10-10-2012 12:33 PM

Orquidia, do you spray and then wipe? Or do you spray onto a cloth and then wipe the leaves gently. Also, do you have to be careful during spike and bloom periods?

Lagoon 10-10-2012 03:52 PM

I also use this more then I would like to, mainly against spider mites. Works well. I use a small paint brush. I don't worry about the spikes they go threw this treatment real well.

You could also try a fresh lemon - With a babies face cloth use 1 teaspoon to 4 0z of water. Nice & clean!

:D

cbuchman 10-10-2012 05:30 PM

I use 70% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol - the most common kind) with Q-Tips or cotton balls for pests. I've never used it as a preventative.

WhiteRabbit 10-10-2012 10:37 PM

I don't think alcohol works as a preventative - it evaporates quickly

Leafmite 10-10-2012 11:47 PM

When Black Rot was attacking my cattleyas, I would remove/discard the infected growths on a catt, then disinfect all but the roots with alcohol. I did this twice a day to each cattleya that I caught in time and was able to stop the spread of the black rot and save them. (Too bad I didn't notice it earlier and save the others.) I also was able to stop a fast moving brown rot and save another cattleya, by doing the same thing. Now, I am trying this with a newly bought miltona that was infected with brown rot in all but one growth. So far, the growth seems okay.

Bud 10-11-2012 01:55 AM

alcohol in the original listerine mouthwash works for me very well....
the process of evaporation is the major key to killing the bacteria ....but it dries the leaves and roots of the plants....so moisture is important in the form of electric humidifiers
hydrogen peroxide also works for me....the extra hydrogen released on air is the trick....

Britton Flash 10-24-2012 11:59 PM

To chime in on buds comment...it does tend to desiccate the leaves quickly, therefore avoiding direct sunlight or extreme light during the process.

WhiteRabbit 10-25-2012 07:41 PM

Don't use rubbing alcohol in the wind and there shouldn't be a problem