Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Hybrids (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/)
-   -   Rare Hybrid .. Pricey! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/62577-rare-hybrid-pricey.html)

LuvPhals 09-26-2012 08:21 PM

Rare Hybrid .. Pricey!

Since the local garden center today only had about 15 Phals all being the same color we did not come home with one. :( Sigh ... While looking online at orchid places I found an orchid for $500.00. I thought it was a mistake because the others were only $50 but after reading the description I understood better. I copied the name here. It's gorgeous! Has a deep purple and white flower.

Phal. FANGtastic Green Envy 'Judy Su'
(bellina var. alba x Golden Peoker ' Harlequin'

zxyqu 09-26-2012 09:01 PM

Nope, this is one that Norman is keeping close to himself. There aren't many stem-props of this, and its a very cool flower! The price is a bit high, but right on this one.

LuvPhals 09-26-2012 09:40 PM

Being a newbie here I have a way to go before graduating to that one! Soooo pretty, had to look at it again. Orchids.com has it on several photos. Along with the little chocolate drop one.

tucker85 09-26-2012 09:42 PM

Some orchids that are rare and are sought after as breeding stock can go for thousands of dollars.

zxyqu 09-26-2012 09:48 PM

My favorite pricey one is the Phrag bessea sold by orchids limited. It is a 4n dynamite clone, for a cool 15,000 bucks. And no that's not a typo. Go see it! It's gorgeous.

LuvPhals 09-26-2012 10:12 PM

Okay I have now added "eat my dust" to the Wish List! Oh my is that ever pretty. See I got bitten by this Orchid thing and now I'm getting out of control ! That one has to come with the winning lottery ticket. The flowers look perfect on it. But now I have another website to look at too now! Thanks!
I still have to get my plants through the dull sunless winter days here in Ohio. I have to find some kind of simple inexpensive light for them.

zxyqu 09-26-2012 10:17 PM

T5 HO lights are probably the best bang for your buck right now. LEDs are getting closer, but I still prefer the T5. That's how I grow year round. Good luck.

LuvPhals 09-26-2012 10:20 PM

Thank you! I will look for them.

FairyInTheFlowers 10-05-2012 11:23 AM

I was gonna comment on here earlier, but I forgot to. Honestly, I have NO clue whatsoever why this plant is so pricey!! First of all, you could probably make better versions of this using better harlequin parents, and secondly, this plant would be a triploid, meaning its pretty worthless in the breeding scene, as triploids rarely breed.

Rowangreen 10-05-2012 01:01 PM

I like the way the info on the Phrag. besseae 'Robs Choice' says 20,000 is the lowest they'll go... and the current price is 15,000! Was 35...