Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Growing on Mounts (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-on-mounts/)
-   -   Mounts using Hygrolon® (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-on-mounts/61315-mounts-using-hygrolon.html)

Bud 07-26-2012 02:12 AM

Mounts using Hygrolon®

5 Attachment(s)
I read about the thread MagnusA posted about healthy roots making him happy…..where I first learned about Hygrolon®= The new unique material that opens up new growing possibilities. Holds 280 % of water; wicks and lift water vertically up to 320 mm ….100% inert and free from degradation….eco-friendly alternative…acts as an excellent substitute for other organic growth substrates such as sphagnum, cork, bark, xaxim etc. ; for windowsill growers like me, for terrarium and greenhouse use.
BUT….
Hygrolon® is not yet available in the USA....so I messaged Magnus if he will be kind enough to share some of his Hygrolon® with me….it would be a great idea to mount my ghost orchids!
Magnus sent me thru the mail : 2ft X 1 ft Hygrolon® ....I wanted to pay him for it but we agreed on a trade instead....
Here are pictures of two of my ghost orchids (leafless ) mounted on Hygrolon®
Picture:
1. The 2ft X 1 ft Hygrolon® spread to fit my plants ( the one on the middle is my Dendrophylax lindenii=American Ghost orchid … I decided not to move it from its mount because the roots are hard to pry out from the slats)
2&3. Chiloschista usneoides (Asian Ghost Orchid)
4&5. Microcoelia bulbocalcarata (African Ghost orchid)
*I will post again in a month's time on how the mounts are doing.
I have some extra materials left, so I will do some mounting on my miniature Vandas next
Thanks a million Magnus !!!!!!!

JaneEyre 07-26-2012 02:21 AM

I, too, learned about this material from same post and was intrigued by it. Too bad we can't get it here in US. Let us know how it works out for you. I am very curious to know how it performs out "in the field."
Your ghosts look very happy! How old are they?

Bud 07-26-2012 02:26 PM

Thank You, Nastia !

the Hygrolon® is like a nylon/microfiber spongy fabric that really absorbs water a longer time than any media mix....the fabric was still damp this morning so I didnt bother to spritz....the roots are starting to cling to it

the Asian Ghost Orchid I have is 3 years old
the African Ghost Orchid is 2 years old= its like the American Ghost it is very slow to grow
the American Ghost Orchid is 7 years old but has been in my care 4 years now

they are all in vase culture(large brandy glass=28 inches high) pretty much like a terrarium method .... its hanging inside an inch away from the water level with open lid for airflow

JaneEyre 07-26-2012 09:51 PM

I'm envious of your ghosts! I bought my American ghost seedling couple months ago and it is still alive, so that's something. I have it in bell jar with one inch of water below pebbles. I notice your ghosts mounted on flat surfaces. Not sure mine likes a stick that much - the roots are curling in the air.

Bud 07-26-2012 11:44 PM

better remount it at least on a jute sack cloth over flat wood ....better yet make a cradle of plastic net with spanish moss and put the ghost on top of it while it is still a seedling(this is the most critical period of its caring=after a couple of years than let it stay on a tree bark since it has been used to your environment) the bell jar sounds like it has maximum humidity; but make sure to let it feel airflow from time to time....I grow it warm and with bright light

Akhenaten 09-27-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 513184)
*I will post again in a month's time on how the mounts are doing

Hi!!!
How are they? After 7 years?

Subrosa 09-27-2019 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 513184)
I read about the thread MagnusA posted about healthy roots making him happy…..where I first learned about Hygrolon®= The new unique material that opens up new growing possibilities. Holds 280 % of water; wicks and lift water vertically up to 320 mm ….100% inert and free from degradation….eco-friendly alternative…acts as an excellent substitute for other organic growth substrates such as sphagnum, cork, bark, xaxim etc. ; for windowsill growers like me, for terrarium and greenhouse use.
BUT….
Hygrolon® is not yet available in the USA....so I messaged Magnus if he will be kind enough to share some of his Hygrolon® with me….it would be a great idea to mount my ghost orchids!
Magnus sent me thru the mail : 2ft X 1 ft Hygrolon® ....I wanted to pay him for it but we agreed on a trade instead....
Here are pictures of two of my ghost orchids (leafless ) mounted on Hygrolon®
Picture:
1. The 2ft X 1 ft Hygrolon® spread to fit my plants ( the one on the middle is my Dendrophylax lindenii=American Ghost orchid … I decided not to move it from its mount because the roots are hard to pry out from the slats)
2&3. Chiloschista usneoides (Asian Ghost Orchid)
4&5. Microcoelia bulbocalcarata (African Ghost orchid)
*I will post again in a month's time on how the mounts are doing.
I have some extra materials left, so I will do some mounting on my miniature Vandas next
Thanks a million Magnus !!!!!!!

Not true! Hygrolon is NO LONGER available in the US. It's been replaced by Spyra. However a very good substitute is available at fabric stores. Look for "performance wicking fabrics". Not an orchid, but.....

Oops, zombie thread!

DirtyCoconuts 12-05-2019 03:31 PM

well i am glad you resurrected it!

is this material the same as 3D air mesh fabric that is used in car seats?

it sure looks like it, seems pretty cool for certain purposes

Ray 12-05-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts (Post 906317)
is this material the same as 3D air mesh fabric that is used in car seats?

Yes, it is "3D" fabric.

I used to sell an equivalent I called "AquaMat". Went through 5000 yards (6' wide) in under a year.

Just make sure you get a polyester version (most are).

Techno Spacer Mesh Fabric | 3D Spacer Mesh Fabric

DirtyCoconuts 12-06-2019 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 906320)
Yes, it is "3D" fabric.

I used to sell an equivalent I called "AquaMat". Went through 5000 yards (6' wide) in under a year.

Just make sure you get a polyester version (most are).

Techno Spacer Mesh Fabric | 3D Spacer Mesh Fabric

I had a history doing car audio and it looked super farmiliar

I have no real use for this but it is very pretty and looks like fun ideas could come from playing with it.....