Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Member Projects (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/member-projects/)
-   -   Summer project 2012- Plant suggestions (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/member-projects/61124-summer-project-2012-plant-suggestions.html)

camille1585 07-17-2012 04:10 PM

Summer project 2012- Plant suggestions

After much delay (because I’m swamped with work lately) I finally found a minute of spare time to start the
summer project. Please sign up HERE: http://www.orchidboard.com/community...tml#post511137

We will be doing things slightly different this time because the large number of US participants (30+) we usually get makes it impossible to find enough of any one plant. Instead of having the usual situation of “1 plant = 1 candidate”, we’ll have several related plants = 1 candidate, and we’ll no longer be limited to species only,
this time primary hybrids can be included (and other hybrids, to a limited extent). This group of plants must be same/similar culture, and as similar looking as possible.

For instance, the ideas I had so far (but not researched availability) are:
*Any Tolumnia
*Any rupiculous Laelia (or Hadrolaelias as suggested by someone else)
*Any Onc Twinkle or related species (like Oncidium ornithorhynchum)
*A group that could be comprised of Phal parishii, Phal lobbii, and Phal Lovely Kid (parishii x lobbii) In this
instance, if all are available in one region, then participants can choose which one they want to buy.
*Any Neofinetia (but this was done in another project)

The criteria:

Temperature: intermediate
Size: blooming size or near blooming size (should be BS in less than a year)
Price: Max $20 / $30 CAN / 20€. Like last time the Canada limit is higher, because plants are more
expensive there.

Available in Europe, Canada and USA. Must be at least 2 plants of the suggestion group available in the US
(to avoid the one plant problem mentioned above)

We won't use plants already used in previous projects. Please see link here for a list. Projects - What Are They & Previous Project Plants

Be kind and save me some work, PLEASE check that your suggestions fit the temp and size criteria before
posting! If you can post the vendors that have it (with price), that’s even better.

Info to provide with each suggestion
1. Plant names in group you are suggestion
2. Links to ISOPE (if possible)
3. Link to vendors, if possible. (Vendor links should be to a blooming size plant within the price range).

Unfortunately if you live outside of US/EU/Canada, from past experience it is very difficult to add your country as an availability requirement and still have a decent amount of suggestions to vote from. :(

Some US vendors (you can use who ever you want just make sure they have good stuff)

Orchids By Hausermann = OBH
Oak Hill Gardens = OH
Andy's Orchids = AO
Carolina Orchids Home Page = CO
Botanica Ltd. - orchids are our specialty = BO
J&L Orchids
Cal Orchid: The Living Bouquet
Clown Alley Orchids
Home Page
Al's Orchid Greenhouse
Welcome to Carter and Holmes Orchids Home Page

European Vendors and Search Engine

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=00...%3Azzs8tf1vx80

Claessen Orchideeen
Großräschener Orchids
Popow Orchids
Orchid Species
Burnham Nursary
Orchid By Peter White
David Stead Orchids
Orchideen Lucke
Schwerter
Elsner Orchideen
Nardotto e Capello Shop = NC
roellke-orchideen
akerne orchids

Canadian Orchid vendors
paramount orchids
clouds orchids
orchids in our tropics (outdated website)
crystal star orchids
Tropical Garden Orchids
ForestView Gardens/ (Paph and Phal species)
hawaiianbotanicals.com

If you know of other reputable growers that should be on this list, please let me know!

IOSPE link:

Internet Orchid Species Photo Encyclopedia

camille1585 07-17-2012 04:12 PM

***suggestions***

Rowangreen 07-17-2012 07:36 PM

Right, guess I better research one I suggested in the other thread! Not sure if this is tooo big a group, but I think they do have similar culture...

Brassia or Brassia hybrid (includes Brassidium, Miltassia, Banfieldara and more! Will look up if needed...)

Jay's Internet Orchid Species Photo Encyclopedia B - Br

US:
Cal Orchids: Brassia Spider's Gold 'Prolific' $15 FS
Clown Alley: have a wide selection, both under and over $20
(I found some others over $20)

EU:
Burnham: Brassia verrucosa £20 FS, Brassia Chieftain NFS £12
Nardotto: Several hybrids for Eu8 FS, Brassia Rex FS eu14 (prices plus iva 10%)
(most sellers tend to have something...)

Canada:
Paramount: have a brilliant range! Including seed grown crosses... many over $30 but a good range under
Forest View: Brassidium Nittany Gold BS $26

FairyInTheFlowers 07-18-2012 12:17 PM

I am going to suggest the Phal. lobbii-parishii group and the rupiculous Laelia. I will do the research once I'm out of bed!!! Lol!

Rowangreen 07-20-2012 06:26 AM

Time for my next suggestion...

Paph Maudiae type.

Definition: Strictly lawrenceanum x callosum, but a wider range is now seen as 'type'. I'd suggest we make it lawrenceanum x callosum, paph's of that type with both in their background, and paph's off this list:

Paphiopedilum Maudiae Type Hybrids

US
Clown Alley have 'Maudiae type hybrids' $25 (Slightly over...)

(Anyone? Will do more searching and hopefully find more when I get home later. There have to be more available!!!!)

EU:
Schwerter: Paph Maudiae vinicolour, 12.95 BS or 22.95 with bud
Orchideen Lucke: Paph Raisin Glory (Raisin Jack X Gloriosum) (on the list I posted..) FS 9.90, Paphiopedilum Makuli x (Raisin Jack x Gloriosum)
(both parents on the list so I think that counts!) FS 8.90, Paphiopedilum Maudiae Vinicolor "Schwarze Madonna" FS 11.90

Probably more: not looked through all the sites!

Canada:

Paramount: huge list, tend to be around $30
Forestview: Maudiae, $25 (not sure it's FS), Macarbre $25, probably others on their list count

Off to work now...

Editing to add...

US:
Orchid Inn Paph. (Bloody Jack x Flame Arrow) x Maude Raven)
NBS $15 (Checked this one on RHS and it has Maudiae in the background at least a couple of times... Others on this page may count too, but haven't time to check them all!)
Sunset Valley Orchids: Paph. Makuli ‘SVO #1’ x Paph. Macabre ‘SVO’ HCC/AOS, 3" pot $15 (I think that's a bit undersize, though they aren't large paphs...)
Piping Rock: Yay, I think the maudiaes make the list... several BS's at $19.95!

Rowangreen 07-20-2012 02:48 PM

Cody are you still in bed?!!?

FairyInTheFlowers 07-20-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowangreen (Post 511872)
Cody are you still in bed?!!?

Hahaha!!! :rofl: No! I just got distracted and forgot! Call_Me_Bob has reminded me, so I'll get on it!

FairyInTheFlowers 07-20-2012 03:49 PM

CANADIAN

Ok, for rupiculous Laelias, Hawaiian Botanicals has a HUGE selection of many species ranging from $21-$45 dollars, so if this group gets selected, if Canadian members want to, they can go over the price limit to buy the species they want. I would have listed off some of the species, but there is probably 20 or so!

(Edit: I thought I would also add that they also have various other Laelia species, and many other Brazilian species, so if you are suggeting one of those groups, look here)

Now, for the lobbii and parishii, it will be from Cloud's Orchids. The only thing is is that even though they have both of each species, they are not listed on the site, so each member will have to contact them individually to ask for which they want (I might see how many they have, in case members want both). The parishii are BS for $25, and the lobbii are NBS for $20. Because the blooming period for both of these species is in spring, I have a feeling that both of these will bloom in the spring, the parishii as repeat bloomers, and the lobbii as first bloomers. Also to be noted that they are both mounted. I recently bought both a lobbii and two parishii (I have two of both now) and they are in great shape!

AMERICAN

Laelias:
Andy's Orchids They have a BS breigeri for $25 and a BS fourneri for $24, which is not unreasonably beyond the limit.

Carolina Orchids has a NBS bregeri for $20

Clown Alley has a bregeri for $16

Phalaenopsis:

Clown Alley has in spike lobbii for $22

Ok, Parkside has a gibbosa, but they are mounted and $30. I decided to include it even though it is over the limit, as people can still decided to spend over the set limit, as this is an uncommon species.

LOC has parishii for $20, and if interested, a lobbii var. flavilabia for $45

EUROPEAN (all prices in euro)

Laelia:

Schwerter has many rupics for 7.95 euro

Elsner has many species in varios sizes, the BS ones being 17.95

Phalaenopsis:

GO has both lobbii and parishii for 16 euro.

Elsner has two varieties of lobbii, both MT-BS at 12.90 and 13.90, a malipoense NBS-MT for 20.90, and a BS parishii for 13.00.

Call_Me_Bob 07-20-2012 04:16 PM

did you check for us and europe cody?

FairyInTheFlowers 07-20-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Call_Me_Bob (Post 511889)
did you check for us and europe cody?

HAHA!!! That TOALLY slipped my mind!!! (added to previous comment above)