Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Dendrobium Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/)
-   -   Den peguanum (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/61005-den-peguanum.html)

NatalieS 07-11-2012 07:18 PM

Den peguanum

2 Attachment(s)
This is my first real miniature den. I got it mid April and I am just so pleased to see that it has some new growths that I wanted to post pics - sorry, no flowers on this one yet. This little guy was severely dehydrated when I finally received it after seven days in transit and it subsequently got infested with some kind of bug. It has sat and done absolutely nothing since treating and repotting and I was starting to get worried about it. Now suddenly it has two new growths which I am very pleased about.

This is supposed to be flowering size, but I have my doubts - it is soooooooo tiny. Can anyone advise on whether or not it is flowering size?

WhiteRabbit 07-11-2012 11:08 PM

Cute!

Bud 07-11-2012 11:12 PM

It is flowering size if you compare it to some of the photos in the net....that is about the right size of leaf to bloom....
but isnt the bonsai pot too large for it? I suggest you just mount it in a treefern small slab....it will be happier: its not hard to provide humidity and heat for it....
it comes from Asia and loves hot and humid riverside environment....but this also gets rest period in winter(hold fertilizer and water every other week)

NatalieS 07-12-2012 05:29 AM

Thanks Bud! I'm glad to hear it looks like it's blooming size. I think the perspective of the picture makes the pot look bigger than it actually is (my hands are also pretty small btw!). It is a mame bonsai pot which is only about 6-7cm wide and about 4cm deep. It is teeny-weeny.

This little guy did come mounted and I originally just trimmed the mount and placed it in the pot. When the plant got infested though (which I gather was due to something in the mount being disturbed), I removed the mount completely and just placed the plant on top of some bark. I then spray/mist it thoroughly every morning. I would be reluctant to change the care I'm giving it now, or disturb it, seeing as it's finally responding. I might experiment next year though.

catwalker808 07-18-2012 12:44 PM

NatalieS.

If you click onto some of the threads at the bottom of this page ("Similar Threads"), there is some detailed info about watering requirements.

Call_Me_Bob 07-18-2012 05:26 PM

im diggin' the bonsai pot!

NatalieS 07-19-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Call_Me_Bob (Post 511479)
im diggin' the bonsai pot!

Thanks Bob! :)

And thanks for the info catwalker! I've been reading as much material and forum info as I could find - I just wasn't sure if my little guy was flowering size or not.

King_of_orchid_growing:) 07-19-2012 09:57 AM

Your plant is definitely, without a doubt, a blooming sized miniature Dendrobium. They don't get much bigger than the one you have.

They go deciduous sometime in mid - late fall.

Drastically reduce watering when they go deciduous, as that is when they are dormant.

Blooming season is very late summer - early fall. Inflorescence is usually produced from the apex of new growths. I have not seen an old pseudobulb produce blooms before.

They also have a tendency to throw out keikis a lot.

NatalieS 07-19-2012 02:29 PM

Thanks for the info King! Would be great to get a few keikis from this one.

Bud 07-19-2012 04:38 PM

I didnt know it came to you mounted with bugs hiding on the decaying wood....since it is now well established in the pot....I think it would be cruel to displace it again....Dendrobiums sulk if you keep disturbing the roots....