Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vanda Alliance - Angraecum/Aerangis (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-angraecum-aerangis/)
-   -   Angraecum didieri (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-angraecum-aerangis/60422-angraecum-didieri.html)

Bud 06-13-2012 07:02 PM

Angraecum didieri

4 Attachment(s)
This is a wonderful surprise because I completely forgot about the existence of this plant and then I read about two members posting about their plant in bloom…that is when I realized I also have a didieri…. I found it right smack on the top shelf of the south facing window in bud and three more spikes forming on middle of the leaf of the stem (see picture)
This plant flowers in late summer to fall months which is early bloom for the two members and me…. The flowers are large in size, in proportion to the plant. Plants that are barely 3" leaf span across can produce flowers 2" in size….my flower is 4 inches big….Flowers of didieri are star-shaped with white, rounded, somewhat elongated lips, and has fragrance in the evening smelling like a combination of spicy candy and talcum powder. When buds appear and during the flowering period, I feel it is important to keep this plant more evenly moist between watering.

* I will add more pictures when the other spikes open its blooms

SydneyH 06-13-2012 09:29 PM

What a nice surprise! I love the shape of those flowers.

Sydney

WhiteRabbit 06-13-2012 11:28 PM

Fabulous! What a treat to find your "forgotten" plant with a big bud!

Wynn Dee13 06-14-2012 12:03 AM

Beautiful bud! I love this species!

Oscarman 06-14-2012 12:18 AM

Nice one Bud. What do you have it potted in and what about your water. I hear this species is sensitive to less than pure water.

Franco24 06-14-2012 02:11 AM

Lovely! I'm really starting to get hooked on the angraecums. I just received a nice little angraecum leonis today.

Bud 06-14-2012 06:16 PM

Thank You, Sydney !

Thank You, Sonya and WynnDee....if not for your posts I would not have remembered I own this kind of plant in my collection

Bud 06-14-2012 06:22 PM

Thank You, DaveW! I have Manhattan tap water that is coming from glaciers from the north...I think it has but a few chemicals to sanitize it.

But I have a couple of plants that I was specifically instructed to give only distilled water ...but this plant thrives on New York tap water

it is in small sized media of charcoal, bark, lava rock and treefern shards

weekly weakly Algoflash alternated with seaweed mix...just this warm months....in winter it gets lesser of fertilizer and water

Bud 06-14-2012 06:23 PM

Thank You, Franco ! I hope to see pictures of your leonis in bloom soon

Oscarman 06-14-2012 10:03 PM

The only one I have (not counting 2 didieri - RIP)is Angraecum eburneum. Anyone growing this one?