Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Advanced Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/)
-   -   Orchid trends....... (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/60268-orchid-trends.html)

peeweelovesbooks 06-10-2012 10:27 AM

Orchid trends.......

Currently, I am super focused in buying "big boys." The grammatophyllum that recently bloomed for me sort of kick-started my current buying trend. At the Redlands show, I bought a grammatophyllum hybrid. Then, I bought another from Kawamoto orchids online, and I just purchased two Ansellias.

I am thinking of buying another grammatophyllum species. Also, I saw that Kawamoto has this new grammatophyllum/cymbidium cross for sale, and I'm intrigued.

I want to try out cymbidiums very badly, but I don't know which are heat tolerant and which aren't.

I hope the trend stops before I run out of room!

What's your current orchid buying trend?

Paul Mc 06-10-2012 10:31 AM

I'm personally going smaller and smaller these days, simply because of space. Also investing in hardy ground orchids that thrive in my area.

Lana 06-10-2012 11:20 AM

I figured out that Phals and Paphs do the best in my conditions, and I ran out of room a couple of months ago, so I'm trying NOT to buy anything, but if I can't stop myself, I only bring in smallish Phals and Paphs.

FairyInTheFlowers 06-10-2012 11:25 AM

Phals, Phals, Phals, and more Phals!!!! :D

King_of_orchid_growing:) 06-10-2012 12:11 PM

A good large heat tolerant Cymbidium would be Cymbidium tracyanum. Another one would be Cymbidium madidum. Cym madidum looks small in photos, but they're actually not minis.

King_of_orchid_growing:) 06-10-2012 12:13 PM

As for trends...

I'm kinda on a terrestrial orchid kick right now. I don't post much about them because most of the ones I currently grow have relatively little to no cultivational information on them, so it's hard to say much about them at all. I'm still figuring them out and many have not bloomed at all for me yet.

A few like Bletilla striata and Eulophia andamanensis are very easy to grow, so any questions regarding them I can answer with confidence.

Other species I own, I prefer not to say much about until I feel I got it right.

Cym Ladye 06-10-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_of_orchid_growing:) (Post 502783)
A good large heat tolerant Cymbidium would be Cymbidium tracyanum. Another one would be Cymbidium madidum. Cym madidum looks small in photos, but they're actually not minis.

Cym. tracyanum is not generally known as a heat tolerant Cym. One area where it grows natively is on the higher slopes of the Himalayas and hence is far better adapted to cool temperatures, especially when it comes to bloom initiation.

However, Cyms. madidum, canaliculatum, suavisimum and the coriacious leaved (thick leaved) Cyms. do well in warm climes. Even though the flowers themselves are miniature, the plants are very robust growers and can take up a lot of space if grown in cramped quarters.

CL

lepetitmartien 06-10-2012 12:28 PM

Phals and vanillas

bellini girl 06-10-2012 12:32 PM

Mostly Vandaceous , primarily because I am enjoying some success blooming them...in pots..without a greenhouse

boytjie 06-10-2012 12:35 PM

Dendrobiums. I grow small, on two shelves indoors under lights, but have still managed to amass two dozen Dendrobium species. In fact the obsession is getting so bad that I'm now selling off other plants to make room for more Dendrobiums... :blushing: Stephen