Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Oncidium/Odontoglossum Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/)
-   -   bacteria attack... (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/59472-bacteria-attack.html)

NYCorchidman 05-03-2012 03:41 PM

bacteria attack...

could be fungal, anyway...

This is my beloved Tahoma Glacier Sweet Sugar. It's been growing two new shoots. Today, I noticed there were brown water soaked area (rather large area like half an inch) on the lower part of developing leaves. (the part that will eventually become new pb).
I was pretty upset as I never had this kind of rot happening and I like this plant. then I started thinking where this rot came from and started to worry about my other plants. :(

I cut the area out with a blade (it was deeper than I thuoght) then put some cinnamon powder. not sure if I cut out deep enough. it looks really bad with all the baby leaves that were developing inside are all exposed and mostly cut away. maybe I should just give up on this growth and focus on the other growth. not sure what to do really.

There is another new growth on the other side of this mother pb. That one had stopped growing almost as soon as it formed, so maybe that one might start to grow instead now.
Whatever happens, I will try and save the plant as much as I can. Wish me luck!

WhiteRabbit 05-03-2012 08:56 PM

hmm - perhaps water got in the new growth during cool, damp weather ? I've had rot in new growth and always suspect that to be the cause, especially as it always happens in winter to me, and not in summer.

gl!

NYCorchidman 05-03-2012 09:46 PM

I don't know how something got in there and start a rot in the middle of plant?

It is dry and warm in my apartment by the way.
I really hope this one survives. I will have to keep a close eye on it to see if it spreads further.

Leafmite 05-03-2012 10:32 PM

Isopropyl alcohol is pretty good at disinfecting and drying. It has worked for me, when I've found the infection in time.

WhiteRabbit 05-03-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCorchidman (Post 493578)
I don't know how something got in there and start a rot in the middle of plant?

It is dry and warm in my apartment by the way.
I really hope this one survives. I will have to keep a close eye on it to see if it spreads further.

It's easy to get water in small new growth while watering. Since you had called it 'rot' - my mind went to moisture. I meant 'damp' as in humidity, not necessarily rain. I made a suggestion based on my experience - I realize tho that not everyone's growing conditions are the same.

Hopefully the cinnamon does the trick for you! Let us know how it goes.

Susie11 05-04-2012 06:09 AM

Good luck with that NYC. I have one of these as well and it is just coming into spike. I can't wait it is such a beautiful one. I have had two new growths in less than a year and they are considerably larger than the ones that it came with. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

NYCorchidman 05-04-2012 02:29 PM

Thank you all!
Yeah, I would love for this one to survive the surgery. Well, even if I have to completely cut awaythe new growth, the other new growth will hopefully kick it off. It seems to like lots of water as other oncidium intergenerics, but I was afraid of root rot and kept it rather dry side, all the new leaves are super wrinkly. but not a single leaf, not even from the tinies old little pb has been lost. How interesting. these types normally lose old leaves first turning yellow and dropping off at my place. then slight wrinkle on the pb that never go away. hmmm

the same happen with cattleyas. pb super wrinkly. yet the new growths seem to be fine. maybe just the dry air...