Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   Cattleya lawrenceana (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/5944-cattleya-lawrenceana.html)

Rosim_in_BR 09-17-2007 04:39 PM

Cattleya lawrenceana

This is mostly a Venezuelan Cattleya, but it is found in Brazil also. It is not common in cultivation here, maybe due to its relatively poor form. Some say that the caerulea variety of this species is the deepest ‘blue’ ever found in Cattleyas. I saw one some years ago and I can say that it is really impressive. The trumpet-like lip is a distinctive characteristic of this species.
My plant needed to be repotted last year, but it didn’t like the new medium at all (from tree fern fiber to a mix of coconut fiber, shredded pinecone and charcoal! I thought that I was loosing it, but it has been adapting well after all. It is not so healthy as it used to be, so the flowers are not at their best, too.

Tindomul 09-17-2007 04:45 PM

I don't see anything wrong with it. I will need to educate my eye some more.
Absolutely beautiful, especially the color!!
Is it just me, or does everyone get the urge to eat orchids that have cotton candy colors?

Frdemetr 09-17-2007 05:17 PM

Mauro,
About the medium: are you using a pre-prepared mix or do you prepare yourself? I've used the mix from "Orquidário 4 Estações" (pine cone and bark, carchoal and coconut chips), and it works weel when I add a little of tree fern fiber (the remaining I still have) or sphagnum. What do you think about this alchemy?

Rosim_in_BR 09-17-2007 05:44 PM

The supplier is the same, Frederico. But, I buy a pre-mix of pinecone and charcoal only. I add coconut fiber (not chips) in a variable way depending on the orchid I'm potting. I don't use bark anymore. Don't like the 'mud' it forms at the bottom. Also, if you let it dry it becomes hydro-repellent.
As for orchid potting media, Frederico you know that orchids are fantastic plants. They will adapt very well in a countless number of media and this fact opens a huge field for us to prepare new combinations. Close observation will answer whether the medium is good or not. Aren't we all alchemists in this case, after all? I do my mixes too!!!

Dorothy 09-17-2007 05:59 PM

:shock:
I love the color, it's form including that trumpet lip ! :nod:
It gives this catt a unique look :)
Beauty :clap:

Tindo .. please control those 'goatboy' urges ;)
:coverlaugh:

Rosim_in_BR 09-17-2007 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 54470)
It gives this catt a unique look :)
Beauty :clap:

That's so true Dorothy!!