Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Introductions - Break the Ice ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/)
-   -   I'm very new and need help! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/5895-im-help.html)

shellyca1969 09-13-2007 02:13 PM

I'm very new and need help!

1 Attachment(s)

So I just got a very sick orchid from a friend, and I have no clue how to help it. I have no idea what type it is, since it never had a bloom.

Can anyone help me?:_(

shakkai 09-13-2007 02:47 PM

First step would be to repot it and check out what the roots look like. No point in trying to give it more water - or fertilizer - until you are sure that there are healthy roots that can take up the moisture and nutrients.

Those pseudobulbs look soft and mushy to me... so if there aren't any green or white roots, then the plant is probably toast...

Maybe someone else will have some suggestions??

quiltergal 09-13-2007 03:16 PM

It may be beyond help, but orchids can and do surprise me with their resiliance. Definately repot. Looks like it's either something from the Oncidium or Cattleya alliance. Kinda hard to tell without leaves.:shock:

tuvoc 09-13-2007 04:58 PM

A trick I learned some time ago might work. Take it out of the pot and remove all the potting material and old, dead roots. Put it in a plastic produce bag along with some sphagnum moss around where the roots are, moisten it lightly, and just lightly fold the top of the bag over. Put it in a warm, shady spot, and keep it just barely moist. Spritz the inside of the bag once a day or so. You just want to keep it warm and humid inside. I've saved one or two very sick plants this way. Good luck.

Phantasm 09-13-2007 05:02 PM

This plant is so dessicated that it is probably dead. You can attempt to rescue it, but it's easy to just get a new plant. Sometimes they attempt a comeback at this stage, but they are so set back by the experience that they will take a long time to get back to blooming size.

shellyca1969 09-13-2007 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuvoc (Post 53969)
A trick I learned some time ago might work. Take it out of the pot and remove all the potting material and old, dead roots. Put it in a plastic produce bag along with some sphagnum moss around where the roots are, moisten it lightly, and just lightly fold the top of the bag over. Put it in a warm, shady spot, and keep it just barely moist. Spritz the inside of the bag once a day or so. You just want to keep it warm and humid inside. I've saved one or two very sick plants this way. Good luck.

Thank you so much!

philoserenus 09-13-2007 06:28 PM

it looks very shrivelled, but i would do the sphag and bag method at least. it still looks green to me, and it never hurts to give it a try. good experience anyways. stick it ontop of the fridge, itz nice and warm there. but dun forget to breath the bag every day

good luck

LILROCORCHIDS 09-13-2007 08:16 PM

Take out of pot and remove all dead roots ,if the bulbs are a wet mush too late but if they are just shriveled you have a chance .You can do the moss in bag in bright light no sun on it ,also wet moss then squeeze out excess water and seal. if it has any good roots put in very small pot with fresh mix and put in bright light no sun ,only water when mix dries . Try to keep in a humid spot if you have no humid spot put plastic bag over entire pot to make a mini greenhouse do not seal bag . hope this helps .Might take a while to see any new growth so don't give up ! keep us posted
Good Luck
Rocco

Buds! 09-13-2007 09:33 PM

Hi Shelly,
From your photo, it looks like your orchid is sitting in water? If that is the case, then you need to re-pot because it is drowning!
Your potting media needs to have good drainage, never sit the orchid in standing water.
All the best.
Buds!

jim blanford 09-13-2007 10:23 PM

I agree with the sphag x bag method it could do the trick. Jim.