Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Pumice: where do I find it? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/58468-pumice.html)

Wjs2nd 04-02-2012 10:31 PM

Japanese Pumice: where do I find it?

I just got a Cymbidium goeringii and I'm looking for pumice for it. It has been very hard to find pumice in the US! I have found some Japanese pumice at bonsai sites, but I know every Japanese pumice can be different. Anyone have any suggests? I'm willing to pay the shipping costs, whatever they my be, for the correct pumice/pumice mix.

WhiteRabbit 04-02-2012 10:37 PM

hmm ... I have found just 'horticultural' pumice at a retail nursery as well as a local (to me) hardware chain. I don't know if that's what you are looking for, or if chains/stores in your area carry it ...

(If you find somewhere that sells size graded horticultural pumice - I'd be interested to know about it - thanks )

Wjs2nd 04-02-2012 10:53 PM

So far I found 3 different grades for Japanese pumice in different sizes for sale from Asuka Orchids They currently only do e-mails and don't have a phone number so I'm waiting to here back from them.

I was thinking about e-mailing Dr. Lehr at New World and seeing if he sells any or has any other leads to find some.

I have also found some US bonsai sites that sell special grades of Japanese pumice but they are not marketed for orchids, so you need to know what your looking at.

keithrs 04-02-2012 11:40 PM

How much you need.... I have some pumice that I no longer use.

keithrs 04-02-2012 11:42 PM

And just FYI... I got it at my local nursery....$15 for 1.5 cu ft.

Wjs2nd 04-03-2012 12:07 AM

Thanks Keith, but I am looking for specific types of Japanese pumice. These have certain properties. I can get regular grade pumice from rePotme Orchid Supplies - Orchid Mix - Orchid Pots - Orchid Care - Orchid Fertilizer

Wjs2nd 04-03-2012 12:10 AM

Orchid Supplies if you goto their site you will see what I mean by certain types of Japanese pumice. That is the link to their pumice.

keithrs 04-03-2012 12:20 AM

Gotcha.....

Ray 04-03-2012 07:52 AM

Is there a particular reason you want pumice in the first place?

About 15+ years ago, I imported about 500 "Chinese" cymbidiums a month, including goeringii, after getting hooked on them. My supplier grew them in 50/50 pumice and tree fern chunks. I experimented and found they did better for me using LECA. (That, by the way, became s/h culture, as I learned more about how it was working.)

Wjs2nd 04-03-2012 08:56 AM

Hmmm, I did think about the PrimeAgra. What size did you use? Ever mix in charcoal or sponge rock? I basically have a hydrotron, charcoal, sponge rock mix right now, but the hydrotron is the bigger size and it's to large. I have even debated sphag moss (which I have seen) or a bark mix (which I have seen).