Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Cymbidium Orchid care questions. (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/58410-cymbidium-orchid-care-questions.html)

canadianplant 04-01-2012 03:44 PM

Cymbidium Orchid care questions.

Ive had houseplants for my whole life, but only fairly recently Ive gotten into orchids.

I purchased 2 types of Cymbidium:

Cym. [Summer Love 'GS116' x (Moyra Easton x Via Wiley cayote) 'pink jewel'] 'Yellow Moon'

Cym. Via Avanti 'Harlequin'

BOth were sold in regular 3 gallon pots, but in well draining soil (Looks to me like a mix of colcanic rock, sphagnum, and something else). Both were rather wet when I got them. The 'Yellow Moon' I got a month ago, and I havnt watered it yet, because the soil is still moist. The 'Harlequin' I just got yesterday, and is wet (both are not soaked).

So now the questions.

I know there are terrestrial Cymbidium, and epiphic as well. Are my types OK in the regular pots, or would they do better in a pot with some slot holes for air movement?

SPecific information on my types was impossible to find for me, does anyone have anything I should know about them, besides general Cymb. care?

Thanks

jai_star 04-01-2012 03:57 PM

I always bring the plants out of their pots for inspection when its a new plants. You will need to careful if they are in bloom not to damage the spikes. What you want to look for is the decomposing of the media and if the roots look healthy ( firm and green rather than mushy and brown ) also examine for pest and dieseases . Glad you enjoying the journey to orchids

WhiteRabbit 04-01-2012 11:16 PM

:welcomeflowers:

Cyms are not true terrestrials - they grow in the organic debris on the ground - all pots and media should be well draining, tho standard nursery pots with drainage holes in the bottom are fine, they don't need slotted orchid pots. They do like to be moist. I haven't had problems waiting to repot (tho if the pots do not have drainage holes, they probably should be repotted) - Cyms generally tolerate some older media for a bit longer than some other orchids. Repot when there is new growth starting.

Lots of light during growing period (spring/summer). Ideally, they should be grown outside for as much of the year as possible, to get them sufficient light for blooming, as well as to give them a period of cool nights in fall. People who live where Cyms cannot stay out side year round usually put them outside as soon as threat of frost has passed, and bring them back inside again at first threat of frost. Many Cyms require a period of cool nights (low 50sF or less) in early fall to initiate spikes. They can tolerate short periods near/just below freezing.

Water and fertilize well during growth period.

canadianplant 04-02-2012 08:55 PM

Thanks WhiteRabbit

I was just worried about the pot for the most part. Im aware of how neglectful some nurseries can be with proper planting.

Zoi2 04-02-2012 08:57 PM

Hello and welcome.
Joann

WhiteRabbit 04-02-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianplant (Post 484394)
Thanks WhiteRabbit

I was just worried about the pot for the most part. Im aware of how neglectful some nurseries can be with proper planting.

Yeah - Since Cyms like to be moist, and are semi-terrestrial - as well as often needing large pots, most people just use plastic nursery pots - as long as there are drain holes in the bottom, it's fine. :) Even the pots made especially for Cyms (taller than they are wide) just have bottom drainage.

Bud 04-02-2012 09:55 PM

The Harlequin is the green flowered mini Cym. and your other plant "Summer" is a large hybrid kind heavy duty wear and tear plant...but treat them equally, they have the same culture and like the same media mix...
OH! ...WELCOME AND HELLO !