Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   Sophronitis coccinea (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/57906-sophronitis-coccinea.html)

Bud 03-18-2012 04:51 PM

Sophronitis coccinea

6 Attachment(s)
This is Sophronitis coccinea in bloom, a most desirable species native to Brazil. It flowers in the winter/early spring with bright red orange 2" flowers that last for 2 months. It is not the easiest plant to grow, water/fertilizer is lessened in the cold period. This strain is vigorously growing with many healthy roots. I keep it moist, but not wet. Ideally, only rain, distilled or RO(reverse osmosis) water is used (bottled drinking water was not recommended). This was one of the most important instructions given to me. MSU fertilizer weekly weakly in the growing months…
Sophronitis coccinea, besides being a gem by itself, have been used extensively in hybridizing, and is very dominant in terms of color and size. Unfortunately, it is also dominant in low flower count and weak flower spike. The first generation hybrids, especially, show very well all these positive and negative trends. It usually takes quite a few generations to get rid or lessen the negative features influence.
The usual flower color is a very intense orange-red, sometimes more to the orange and sometimes to fire-engine red. Albino forms are getting more widespread these days by the means of mericloning or selfing, and have a very showy butter yellow color. Flower size is about 2" (4-5 cm.), but can be as large as 4" (10 cm.) My flower size has not increased by much, but shape is much rounder and substance much heavier. These plants are a real breakthrough, not only because of the excellent flower quality, but also because they allowed for tetraploids right away when crossed with standard Cattleyas.
This particular strain was originally imported from Japan; grown by SVO where I got this plant from.
They are known for a one-of-a-kind much selected seedlings. Each one is hand selected for its excellent bloom quality. This is a seedling of the very select Sophronitis coccinea ‘SVO’; used as a stud parent for many of their mini-Cattleyas.
Why buy a hybrid seedling vs. a clone? As explained to me by our fellow member GlenGary: with a clone, you along with hundreds (perhaps thousands!) of people may have the same exact plant. With a seedling, you are the only one to have a unique flower and orchid plant.
This plant has now slowly growing more bulbs; at present with 4 flowers and 1 bud and 2 small growths. It is potted in a 2 1/4" clay pot, and is about 3" tall.

beezermommy 03-18-2012 04:59 PM

WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!That is one beautiful plant. Color is magnificient.:bowing

Bud 03-18-2012 05:07 PM

Thank You, Mommy !

beezermommy 03-18-2012 05:11 PM

I'm putting this on my all-time wish list.

ronaldhanko 03-18-2012 06:29 PM

Superb work on growing this, Bud, and a very fine example! Congratulations.

Tindomul 03-18-2012 08:36 PM

Wow, thats gorgeous. I have had some good luck with S. cernua, that maybe I think I will try this one too.

Bud 03-18-2012 11:18 PM

Thank You Ron ! It was daunting at first, but as I followed the instructions and helpful tips...I managed to gather my confidence and it became routine.

Thank You, Tindomul...I am awaiting my S. cernua; is just a teenager, it will be a year before it spikes...that is why I was glad to see your blooms...it is something to look forward to.
You can grow this coccinea quite easy you have a terrarium this will just be as happy as your cernua

Tindomul 03-19-2012 12:12 AM

Thanks, do you grow S. coccinea in a terrarium? I do not grow my S. cernua in a terrarium.

greenbean 03-19-2012 12:29 AM

That's a fantastic Soph. coccinea! Great shape and color!

Technically, this is Cattleya coccinea now, but I just can't adjust to the change. This is one of my favorite orchids. I'm hoping to get one from a friend soon.

isurus79 03-19-2012 12:58 PM

Looks great!!