Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Cattleya keeps self destructing (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/57857-cattleya-self-destructing.html)

Eahonn 03-16-2012 07:06 PM

Cattleya keeps self destructing

2 Attachment(s)
This cat keep sending out all these new shoots and new roots and they initially look healthy and then shortly turn black and die. It is with other healthy orchids and they are fine. what can I do to help it. Photos are included of plant and roots.

Wjs2nd 03-16-2012 07:32 PM

I'm think either pest or disease. I would try a natural soap spray with neem oil. When did you last repot? Maybe try a repot (there could be some bad medium lurking in the bottom).

Eahonn 03-16-2012 07:43 PM

It is in fresh material, what disease?

silken 03-16-2012 07:45 PM

It looks seriously over-potted as well, unless it is attached to a large amount of healthy roots.

Leafmite 03-16-2012 08:26 PM

I think this is black rot. I had this attack a few of my orchids this past autumn. They were all near eachother and some were unscathed, some were saved, some died. Here is a site to help.
Orchid Pests, Orchid Diseases
I read that using a fertilizer with calcium might help as this might be caused by a lack of calcium. I added oyster shell in hopes this is true. I also read that keeping the rhizome above the surface of the media can also help prevent this so I removed rock from around the rhizome. I used isopropyl alcohol with good results. The ones that died were not caught in time. It seems that Brassavolas and cattleyas can be prone to this. Good luck.

OrchidLife 03-17-2012 03:18 PM

Probably need to pull it out to check on the roots. I'd also put it in a much smaller pot :)

james mickelso 03-20-2012 04:36 PM

Hi, I have had the same problem when my catts and laelias were over potted and wet. If you can, I would repot it right away in as small a pot as you can get it into. Once you get it into the pot, don't water it for awhile. Oh, when you take it out of the pot, dust the root area with cinnamon powder. Once potted up, place a baggie over it. Just drop a baggie (opening over the pot and all) over it and place it in a fairly bright location. If it is indoors, place pot on a saucer of gravel with water. Don't put the pot bottom "in" the water. Just on top the gravel so there is some humidity. A mini green house if you please. After a week or so, dribble a little water around the pot. Not a lot. Just enough to make the orchid think it might be raining. The rot is caused by too much watwer in the potting mix. I have lots of catts (and other species) that I have saved this way. I take all the half dead and dying and salvage them. Once I figure out how to post pics I'll put up some before, during, and after pics for folks like you. Don't despair. You can bring it back. It takes awhile though. Ther real trick is to get it to put out a new root and that can take some time. But spring has sprung. Just keep it warm and bright.