Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   What is the best kind of pot for a phalaenopsis orchid??HELP ME!! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/57629-pot-phalaenopsis-orchid-help.html)

BR@NDI LOVE'S PHAL'S 03-08-2012 06:56 PM

What is the best kind of pot for a phalaenopsis orchid??HELP ME!!

HI i have three goergous orchids i got on valentines day..they came from safeway..My husband gave them to me..they are one fairly large white phal,one quite small yellow red spotted phal,and two purple phals that are fairly large they came in the same pot..All of them are in small plastic see-thru pots a couple in spagnum moss a couple in bark..They are all also placed in larger plastic 8' or10' pots NO DRAINAGE!Before i found this site i read it's best to leave them in the plastic pot..But the pots seemed small so i ordered 5'5'' clear plastic pots from repotme.com.i was planning on removing all of them,placing them in the new larger plastic pots in bark?And placing them back in the decorative pots is that right??I had planned on just removing the plastic's to water them,let them drain put them back in the deco pot?Is that wrong?HELLLLLLLPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leafmite 03-08-2012 09:42 PM

I like to use plastic net pots. They let you see the roots and allow good airflow. They are light, can be hung or set, and, when the orchid needs a bigger pot, you just drop it into a larger one, if you use lava rock or another medium that doesn't decompose. I have nearly my entire orchid collection (~45-50) in lava rock and plastic net pots or plastic vanda baskets (six are phals). If the roots need more moisture, you can drop the net pot into a plastic pot.

BR@NDI LOVE'S PHAL'S 03-08-2012 10:29 PM

okay..thanks for the feedback,greatly appreciated!!

Bud 03-08-2012 10:35 PM

or you dont need to buy one at all...if the original plastic pot is transparent or clear then you can repot it on that same pot(Phals like to be compact and contained=a bigger pot might not be a happy place for them at the moment)...or you can get a clear plastic food container from any take out use your knife to bore holes on the sides and on the bottom...
then put it in a nice fancy porcelain or ceramic colorful cashepot...just take it out when you water it...

BR@NDI LOVE'S PHAL'S 03-08-2012 10:43 PM

THANK-YOU ALOT Bud!!I am very gratefull for this site and for ppl who take time out of their day to help!!

tucker85 03-09-2012 07:21 AM

My favorite phal pots are clear plastic pots with plenty of drainage holes. I've had the best results when I use the smallest pot that the roots will comforatably fit in.

RosieC 03-09-2012 08:31 AM

I agree with the comments above. Net pots are great for air flow if you can get them, I struggle here. The smallest pot you can fit the roots into, or a small food container with holes cut in is the best thing. Clear if possible as Phal roots can photosynthesise and it also helps you see how wet the medium is.

Wjs2nd 03-09-2012 09:33 AM

Let me throw a wrench into the loop, I have all my phals mounted. It takes some work and you have to make sure they stay moist (usually misting everyday will do). I love mounted orchids though. Good luck.

You can put your clear pots in your deco pots. I would put some kind of a spacer in the bottom of your deco pots. You don't want your clear pots sitting in water some how. Rocks or something like it would work.

Ray 03-09-2012 10:57 AM

I will also complicate matters a bit by suggesting that there is no such thing as a universal "best" in ANY aspect of orchid growing.

You have to consider the requirements of the plant, the environmental conditions it will be growing in, and how your personal tendencies will affect them.

rangiku 03-09-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 477470)
I will also complicate matters a bit by suggesting that there is no such thing as a universal "best" in ANY aspect of orchid growing.

Ray, with 1.5 year+ growing under my belt, I totally understand your answer. And, I greatly appreciate your expert advice. However, 1.5+ years ago, I found this answer very, very frustrating.

Guidelines help us newbies. :) When one way doesn't work, we can move onto another option. And, experts like you and others on this board help decode how best for us to grow.