Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Miscellaneous & Other Genera (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/miscellaneous-and-other-genera/)
-   -   Phaius tankervilleae 'Grandiflora' (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/miscellaneous-and-other-genera/57597-phaius-tankervilleae-grandiflora.html)

glengary54 03-07-2012 09:27 PM

Phaius tankervilleae 'Grandiflora'

I've had this plant for what seems like forever. Each inflorescence stands about 5 feet tall and the flowers are twice the size of the normal tankervilleae and they are not as hooded, they stand up straight and look you in the face. I think I am finally going to put it in the ground.

Tsuchibuta 03-07-2012 09:52 PM

Nice, I love these plants. Have you ever tried to show them? Total pain they bruise so easy and of course their height too. My wife saw one at a show one year, and next thing you know I had 4 of these each in a 15 gallon nursery pot.

Will they survive the freak frosts that Florida gets every so often?

orchid-eric 03-07-2012 11:26 PM

I've always liked these. After I get my g.h going again I'm going to get one.

glengary54 03-07-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsuchibuta (Post 477063)
Nice, I love these plants. Have you ever tried to show them? Total pain they bruise so easy and of course their height too. My wife saw one at a show one year, and next thing you know I had 4 of these each in a 15 gallon nursery pot.

Will they survive the freak frosts that Florida gets every so often?

The worse that I have seen happen here in Central Florida where we normally get only a few days that reach freezing is that the foliage dies back to the ground bulb the bulbs survive fine and are not set back, they will bloom on time in the blooming season.

camille1585 03-08-2012 03:33 AM

Great looking Phaius! The thing is nearly as tall as I am, I'm only 5'1"...

glengary54 03-08-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camille1585 (Post 477139)

:rofl::rofl:

Merlyn 03-08-2012 10:49 AM

Guess it REALLY WOULD stare you in the face Camille !!! That might be scary for you ! Different anyway !

The Mutant 03-08-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camille1585 (Post 477139)

Oh, you're actually shorter than I am! I'm 5'3". :D But if it's any comfort you're still taller than my mum, she's the same height as the Phaius, about 5'. :biggrin:

(yes, us Swedes are supposed to be tall and blond so I guess our genes missed to read that part...)

camille1585 03-08-2012 01:27 PM

LOL.
I feel especially small now that I live in the netherlands, it's the country with the tallest average height.... One of my good friends is over 2 meters tall! It's a bit problematic for me, because compared to france or the US everything is higher here. Taller doorways or longer beds are not an issue for me, but higher countertops in the kitchen means water dribbling up my arms when I do dishes, and I can only reach the lowest shelf in the cabinets.... And if I want to see my face in the bathroom mirror, I need to stand on something. And I can't even reach the shower head if I want to take it off the wall hook. The list goes on and on... I feel like a dwarf in this country!

The Mutant 03-08-2012 02:41 PM

Note to self; never go to the Netherlands...
:rofl:

The only time I feel tall is when a busload of Chinese or Japanese tourists lumbers past me when I'm taking a stroll through the city...