Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Becoming a judge questions (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/57250-becoming-judge-questions.html)

Paul Mc 02-23-2012 07:23 PM

Becoming a judge questions

Ok, so I was reading another thread and was at an orchid society meeting with a judge talking about the process of becoming a judge. So now I'm fairly curious. I'll be honest though, I haven't read up on it yet at the AOS. I'm just wondering if you can be a somewhat of anewbie and become a judge? Based on what I've read and heard thus far, it may be best for me to be a cleric for judging a while to get a feel for it while continuing to read books and here, of course, to learn more. But I'm very intrigued in doing this, or at least shooting for it, lol... I figure more knowledge, even if I never become a judge, is always a good thing!

Paul Mc 02-23-2012 07:24 PM

Please let me rephrase. Be a newbie and start the process of becoming a judge, not actually be a judge.

Paul Mc 02-23-2012 07:31 PM

My apologies if I'm asking so close to a sore subject. I will be speaking with the judge I know next time I see her as well, of course after I've done more reading.

glengary54 02-23-2012 07:42 PM

Paul - There is a test to see if you know enough to join the program, not everyone who applies is accepted into the program. I don't know how they would react if they knew that you just wanted to learn and not become a Judge. The program is alot of work for the loal Judging Center and it's Judges who serve as mentors to the the Student Judges. I would contact your local Judging Center Chairman and tell them that you want to learn more and he may let you sit in on the training sessions, you could also ask a Judge in your local Society, if there is one, to ask the Program's Education Director if he would consider giving you the same research assignments that the students are given. Or you can go to the monthly Judging Sessions and ask to be allowed to sit in as an observer on a Judging Team. The Judges are extremely friendly and more than willing to share their expertise. There have been times when I have sat in on a team and was asked what I thought was good and or bad about a flower before the Judges started their discussion. I have always been made to feel comfortable and welcome. Let me know what you wind up doing.

Here's a link to the AOS page that lists the Judging Centers, not sure that there is one near you.
http://www.aos.org/Default.aspx?id=38

Paul Mc 02-23-2012 08:57 PM

Oh wow, you are right! No one near me, lol... BTW, I was wanting to work to be a judge, but I realize I am no where near able to be one at this time I believe. I will look into this test as well, thank you for that information.

rangiku 02-23-2012 10:05 PM

Paul, my suggestion is to clerk at as many shows as you can that have AOS judging. You will learn a lot this way, by teaming up with different judges at the different shows. The judges will get to know you and your interest in orchids.

And, most importantly, you get to make lots of new orchid friends.

Paul Mc 02-23-2012 10:24 PM

Next time I see my judge friend, I will talk to him about this. Is there any reading I can do to help?

Paul Mc 02-23-2012 10:25 PM

Clarification again, I read everything I can get my little greedy hands on, lol...

RJSquirrel 02-23-2012 10:41 PM

I too would enjoy being a judge of orchid flowers. Clerking the shows is the way to start off. Its a lot of walking :) and lots of talking. I do well at both. Its time consuming and I have found, that competing with retired people, for the most part, will run you ragged if you are like me and have to work a full time job. Having to work for a living makes orchid life difficult to say the least if your business isnt in orchids.
Judging IS in my own future bec I feel I have a natural ability for spotting great looking flowers. I am not color blind and i just love orchids anyway. :blushing:
I communicate well with others when I have a need. I think my 2nd full year of being in my local society I will start to do more to reach this goal.

Theres so much to learn and knowing a sepal from steeple helps :(. Have you seen the verbage used to describe location and parts of the flowers and plants? The terms used to describe look feel and shape?.. Theres a lot to do my friend. Having a degree in biology would help :lol:. also getting a dictionary of scientific plant terms and read it..

rangiku 02-23-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mc (Post 473757)
Next time I see my judge friend, I will talk to him about this. Is there any reading I can do to help?

I've been told that going through OrchidWiz is very, very helpful. AQ+, too.