Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Oncidium/Odontoglossum Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/)
-   -   Oncidium Sharry Baby 'Sweet Fragrance' (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/56849-oncidium-sharry-baby-sweet-fragrance.html)

WhiteRabbit 02-08-2012 09:22 PM

Oncidium Sharry Baby 'Sweet Fragrance'

3 Attachment(s)
Got this about 2 1/2 years ago at Trader Joe's :biggrin:

Due to it's size, it's been relegated to outdoor status (too big for my windowsills), but has been a trooper about it lol - tho the foliage is quite beat-up ...

Two spikes this time, both having over 100 blooms.

Thanks for looking

bballr4567 02-08-2012 09:25 PM

Dang, big bloomer.

Phal grower 02-08-2012 09:46 PM

Awesome plant Sonja. I hope mine will look close to that some day.

silken 02-08-2012 09:59 PM

Gorgeous blooms and nice looking plant!

WhiteRabbit 02-08-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballr4567 (Post 469748)
Dang, big bloomer.

Yes it is! The plant is becoming a monster too!

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phal grower (Post 469756)
Awesome plant Sonja. I hope mine will look close to that some day.

aw thanks - I bet it won't take long for yours - mine grows like a weed!

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by silken (Post 469766)
Gorgeous blooms and nice looking plant!

thanks silken :)

Bud 02-08-2012 10:24 PM

great show of blooms...I specifically love the colors...and fragrance is definitely a plus...I envy your plants outdoors...I still have two months of winter before my plants get out on the fire escape...

WhiteRabbit 02-08-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 469782)
great show of blooms...I specifically love the colors...and fragrance is definitely a plus...I envy your plants outdoors...I still have two months of winter before my plants get out on the fire escape...

Thanks :) The lips are darker than when I first got this, and when compared to pix I find of this cultivar, I suspect it's due to the quite cool temps my plant is exposed to while the buds are developing - but I rather like it this way :)

I know it takes overnight temps a fair amount lower than would be recommended, but like I said, it's been a trooper about it. I'd have to divide it to fit it on a windowsill, which I'd rather not if it can tolerate the overnight temps outside (goes into garage on the coldest nights), and the blooms really last a long time in the cooler temps.

Yes, the fragrance is wonderful! I actually sniffed out this plant at the store - there was whole lot of orchids crammed into a small space, so I didn't initially see this, but I could sure smell it! :biggrin:

JaneEyre 02-09-2012 12:55 AM

Oh wow! Such display! Great growing!
How cold does it get for you outside? I wonder if I could leave some Oncidiums outside as well.

WhiteRabbit 02-09-2012 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneEyre (Post 469814)
Oh wow! Such display! Great growing!
How cold does it get for you outside? I wonder if I could leave some Oncidiums outside as well.

Well, I don't want to advise it if you have room inside (I would not want to be responsible if your plants don't fair well lol), but I do have a few Oncidiums outside (this one, an in spike Onc Nanboh Waltz, Onc sphacelatum and one who's name escapes me right now) - all are on sheltered porch, near a wall (which might help idk) tho sphacelatum isn't against a wall, but well sheltered. Also have a couple of Onc alliance intergenerics and Milt flavescens out side situated about the same. Except for the one who's name escapes me, which looks somewhat unhappy, the others look good.

I'm in San Jose right at the border with Los Gatos, so right up against the Santa Cruz Mountain foothills - lows are usually low 40s (sometimes warmer), tho upper 30s often enough. When forecast is for 35 or less they go into the garage to be safe. Daytime temps are usually 60s, sometimes mid to upper 50s - and of course some gorgeous days in the 70s once in a while ;) I think that the daytime temps are warm enough definitely helps - I wouldn't leave them out if highs were say, only 40s for an extended time.

I definitely keep them out of the rain this time of year - cold water sitting on the plants at night = rot (except for cyms which seem to be impervious to anything our weather throws at them), and definitely keep them drier when temps are getting down to maybe 37/38 (I don't allow the Oncidiums to become DRY dry, but only spray in small amounts of water til it's warmer, so they remain just lightly moist.

I just don't have space inside for all of them, at least not to give them much light, so it was leave them outside, or get rid of some :p

The lower temps may slow them down - definitely takes spikes forever to get to blooming :p But, when they do bloom, the flowers last a long time so long as they aren't getting rained or hailed on ;)

So, all that said, I definitely keep my eye on the weather forecast, and deal with moving quite a few plants in and out of the garage at least 2-3 times per winter ;) But I bet many people would be surprised at how tough some orchids actually are :)

Lagoon 02-09-2012 06:28 AM

Love these blooms and they smell soooo nice. You must be wiffing this one every chance you get, hard to get the housework done eh?! LOL!!

Congrats Sonya :D