Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vanda Alliance - others (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/)
-   -   Vanda Blooming times (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/56769-vanda-blooming-times.html)

denvervet 02-05-2012 07:06 PM

Vanda Blooming times

I have two Vanda's which grow like crazy. Vanda tricolor and Neostylis Lou Sneary "Bluebird". Do Vanda's bloom at a specific time of year or do they bloom intermittantly? One of them has bloomed twice and the tricolor is finally big enough to bloom.

Roy 02-06-2012 07:45 AM

Depending on the species or hybrid of the Vanda AND the conditions its growiing in, they can flower multiple times a year. V. tricolor can flower from late spring to mid summer. I've had Vandas flower twice a year where it has flowered 4 times in a year in the tropics. Ascocenda can flower multiple times a year even if not in ideal conditions. I flowered an Ascda Princess Mikasa 3 times in 12 months. Light & a high min ( 12c ) temp is the key.
I haven't had my Lou Sneary flower yet so I can't tell what it will do in my conditions ( too small. )

denvervet 02-07-2012 09:02 PM

Thank you for the information Roy, I appreciate it. I believe I need to buy more Vanda's since they seem to do so well in this high elevation. Are there any large size Vanda's or are they all small?

Vanda lover 02-07-2012 09:31 PM

I have a 10 year old pachong blue vanda that flowers 3 to 4 times a year. Usually spring, mid summer and then it gets two spikes, one after the other in the fall and blooms in the winter. Mind you I put it outside during the summer and give it maximum light without burning it. It's flowers are about 3 inches across.

Bud 02-07-2012 10:30 PM

Vanda species flower once a year; the cold blue vandas in winter and the hot pinks, reds and yellows in summer and you may be lucky if they flower twice in a season...my luzonica flowered twice; I think it just had a spike that didnt grow together with the first and decided to come flower 2 months after.
Hybrid vandas flower as many as they can per season...sometimes four times a year...
My vandas had an early winterstorm last halloween: and they decided to spike a month after.
they will bloom again late spring...then in the fall

Roy 02-08-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denvervet (Post 469451)
Are there any large size Vanda's or are they all small?

It depends on what you call large. Straight Vandas can become quite wide & tall given time & maturity. Ascocendas can also achieve large sizes depending on the breeding, ie. multiple infusions of Vanda. If they contain more the Ascocentrum side they will remain on the small side.

Vanda lover 02-08-2012 10:12 AM

There was someone on this board that had to get rid of her vanda because it grew too big. The Mokaras get quite tall. My largest vanda is about 1 1/2 feet after 10 years or so.

denvervet 02-08-2012 06:49 PM

Wow folks, I am learning a lot! Thank you. Do Vanda's have any keiki's or offshute plants? Seems like I have new leaves growing from the bottom of the plant and I am not sure why.

Bud 02-08-2012 08:12 PM

You have a basal keiki...theres a small baby growing at the base of the plant.

Vanda luzonica is my largest vanda so far, three feet from crown to top of leaf and four feet length of roots(11 yrs old)
secondly is my Vanda sanderiana with two feet from crown to top and four feet of roots(7 yrs old)

My Mokara Chao Praya 'Boy' is two feet from crown to top leaf and three feet roots (5 yrs old)

denvervet 02-11-2012 04:42 PM

Sounds like Vanda's like your location! So does a basal Keiki get taken off at some point or just leave it there? Thanks for solving the mystery.