Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   shriveled pseudobulbs on onicidium! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/56397-shriveled-pseudobulbs-onicidium.html)

smooche6 01-22-2012 08:46 PM

shriveled pseudobulbs on onicidium!

Hi I'm new to orchid growing and I don't know how to solve this prob? extremely shriveled psuedobulbs!!! I water once a week and it gets good light and air movement. Why is it so shriveled?

ALSO...can you please identify this growth? (2nd pic) I don't know if it's a new pseudobulb or a flower spike!

PICS: /Users/smooche6/Desktop/IMG_0710.JPG
/Users/smooche6/Desktop/IMG_0711.JPG

King_of_orchid_growing:) 01-23-2012 01:04 AM

1. Your pics aren't uploaded.

2. Check the roots on your Onc. If they're badly damaged, then you have part of your problem solved. Badly damaged root systems = severely limited water uptake.

3. Depending on the Onc you have, you may be able to afford increasing how many times you can water in a week.

camille1585 01-23-2012 05:24 AM

Shriveled bulbs is due to one thing: not enough water getting to the bulbs, but there are very different causes of this.

If you are lucky, you only need to increase watering.
In the other case the roots are dead, so the plant can't take up any of the water than you give. Like Philip says, check the roots, so then you'll immediately know the source of the problem and we can advise you from there.

RosieC 01-24-2012 03:54 PM

It looks like you pics are in a location on you local computer, so no-one else can see them. You need to upload them to a place on the internet. There are a few ways to do this, either putting them on the Orchid Board server, or on a photo-sharing website's server. Take a look at the link in my signature for information on how to do this.

I agree with the comments above, check the roots. If they are good then it should be OK, sometimes the p-bulbs wrinkle and on Oncidiums they rarely re-plump so if if they wrinkled due to lack of water in the past they are likely to stay that way.

However if the roots are bad then you have a problem and we will need to advise more.

wevans 01-24-2012 09:07 PM

I have a question about oncidiums too. My oncidium leaves have purple spots on them. What does this mean, the roots are healthy as they all have new tips on them.

silken 01-25-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wevans (Post 466095)
I have a question about oncidiums too. My oncidium leaves have purple spots on them. What does this mean, the roots are healthy as they all have new tips on them.

A picture would help to show what kind of spots.

King_of_orchid_growing:) 01-25-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wevans (Post 466095)

A pic of your plant would be nice in order to be certain of what the spots really are.

If you want my best guess at what's going on with your Onc - based on your description, I think your Onc has produced a pigment called anthocyanin in order to shield itself from excessive amounts of UV light.

Should your plant really have produced anthocyanin pigments, it is not of major concern.

If by any chance you have a suspicion that it is not anthocyanin pigmentation, I highly recommend posting a pic asap.