Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Potting & Repotting (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/potting-and-repotting/)
-   -   Homemade pots & how to make holes (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/potting-and-repotting/56111-homemade-pots-holes.html)

Merlyn 01-13-2012 02:29 AM

Homemade pots & how to make holes

10 Attachment(s)
This is for bballr and anyone else that's interested. I use a lot of homemade containers for orchid pots because the standard size pots don't always fit the situation. I use a lot of grocery store bought ZipLock containers of various sizes and make them into pots. Bulbophyllums love shallow pots and try finding clear shallow pots ! I use AquafinA 16oz water bottles for a lot of seedlings because they are 3" clear and DEEP pots once holes are made and tops are cut off. I do a lot of keikis and they always seem to have roots too long for standard 2" clear pots. Anyhow, the main trick I use to make holes is in the last pix. It's a pair of 6" Vise Grips and it's locked on a .38 Special brass case ! If you or your hubby don't have one they're less than $10 at Home Depot. Or use a full size one if you have it, it's safer than a pair of pliers because you don't have to worry about dropping a hot case on you or the surroundings ! I use a propane torch but you can use a gas stove if you don't have the torch. Just heat the case and melt the holes one at a time, heating the case between each one. The cases aren't hard to find, you could get them from a friend who shoots pistols if you don't have them or at a target range or a police range. Or buy the empty cases at a gun shop in the reloading department.

That's it !

camille1585 01-13-2012 02:41 AM

I use a hot nail to make holes, or if the plastic is soft I cut out holes with small curves scissors. I can't try your casing method since firearms are strictly regulated here.

Merlyn 01-13-2012 02:46 AM

The empty cases aren't lethal !

camille1585 01-13-2012 02:57 AM

No firearms = no cases either. You simply cannot get those here.

Merlyn 01-13-2012 03:01 AM

Oh well.

Daethen 01-13-2012 08:41 AM

I have used a large phillips screwdriver. Just heat it up and push it through. If you are really wanting to keep it cheap, most general hardware stores have dollar tables that you could find vise grips at or go to a Harbor Freight store.

vjo 01-13-2012 08:57 AM

I just use a regular drill and drill holes in them,it is easy and quick....Jean

Ray 01-13-2012 09:05 AM

I strongly recommend that you NOT use heat to make holes in pots, as the fumes released can be quite toxic. Use a drill instead.

I consider myself something of an expert on this subject, having tried just about every kind of drill bit known to mankind in an effort to produce S/H pots without cracking them, so this I can safely recommend: Use a "step-bit" - one of the more common brands is "Uni-Bit". The tip cuts through plastic better than any other I've seen, and you can make whatever size holes you need (stick to 1/4" with s/h pots).

http://i21.geccdn.net/site/images/n-...RW_BM16102.jpg

bballr4567 01-13-2012 09:37 AM

Great info in here. Especially great info about the water bottles, I didnt even think about that!

Vanda lover 01-13-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camille1585 (Post 463127)
I use a hot nail to make holes, or if the plastic is soft I cut out holes with small curves scissors. I can't try your casing method since firearms are strictly regulated here.

The same here. I saw a program where they mentioned a hero who shot out the window of a car that was in a river, to save the family inside. I thought, what would a Canadian do? No trusty gun in our pockets!