Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Oncidium/Odontoglossum Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/)
-   -   Finally Fully Open! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/54943-finally.html)

NYCorchidman 11-25-2011 03:59 PM

Finally Fully Open!

So this is an update of my last thread of the bright yellow flowered Tolumnia.
This one has been blooming again and again since August. Only four this time and I think it might be the last one until the next season. I'm running out of enough light for it.
I love how bright it is!

The first picture two pictures (my apology for the poor picture quality. this is also in the bathroom, hence the brown towel background. lol ) are of old bloom about two months ago. then as they were fading, a tiny swelling on one of the lower nodes was poking out (in the second pic). The third one is a close up picture of it about a month ago.
and it is finally in bloom! what a long wait. :)

Zoi2 11-25-2011 04:27 PM

They're lovely such a bright splash of color!
Joann

Lagoon 11-25-2011 08:56 PM

Gorgeous tols!

NYCorchidman 11-26-2011 01:29 PM

Thank you!
They are so cute, aren't they? :)

camille1585 11-26-2011 02:57 PM

So cute!! Are the blooms in the bathroom and now actually different shades of yellow, or it is due to the light?

NYCorchidman 11-26-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camille1585 (Post 453307)
So cute!! Are the blooms in the bathroom and now actually different shades of yellow, or it is due to the light?

The last two pictures show the correct color tone. The first two were taken under the lamp with my iPhone and the color quality isn't quite there at all, but just wanted to show how it looked back then. should have taken better ones then. oh, well...

By the way, I have two Tolumnias including the one pictured here in the bathroom. They are hung right under the bathroom light. :)

Other two sets are under halogen lamp along with my mini phals and Onc. twinkle, and by the window, each.

They are all growing new fans and I will see which setting works best. :)

camille1585 11-26-2011 04:52 PM

I figured it was the light source causing the color difference, but sometimes plants can do weird things and bloom paler than usual.

I'd love to grow some Tolumnias since they are so cute, but they are surprisingly hard to find over here. There are now one or two growers than offer it, so I'll have to plan an order at one of them.

NYCorchidman 11-26-2011 05:01 PM

It's unbelievably cheerful bright lemon yellow :)
I'm sorry to hear that they are hard to find over there. It is not very common here either (except for online stores, there are a few) but in the flower district in Manhattan, I know there are two shops that carry them in the late summer to early fall. I got two from one of them, and then I got the rest of them in August in a farmer's market.
I had about five different varieties to choose from, and I got four. One variety had too many dots which was a turn off for me.

These guys can stand driness for quite some time I believe, although it's not the best for them. Maybe I can send one over? By the way, I think I read your thread about sending plants to another country where you were going to stay for a few months. I wonder how plants survive while being on the plane because the freight section might be rather freezing cold while the plane is way up in the sky.
How did your plants turn out??

I'm asking you this because I almost had a chance to move to another country, and then one of my worries were how to move all my orchids with me. :)

camille1585 11-26-2011 05:13 PM

When I was living in upstate NY last year I discovered a local grower which specializes in Tolumnias. The Hollow, Orchids and Herbs" Too bad I couldn't but anything, the permits that would have allowed me to take them back to Europe were too expensive.

I fly with orchids regularily (usually the mounted ones which can't stay alone while I'm on vacation), but they always go in my hand luggage. I don't trust the airlines with my checked bags, so anything valuable ($$ or sentimental) stays with me. I have put other plants in my checked bag, and they turn out fine.

Be happy that you didn't move to another country, because in most cases the orchids usually can't follow along, and if they can it involveq piles of paperwork and lots of money. In Europe I don't have those problems since there is free movement of goods and people between countries

NYCorchidman 11-26-2011 05:56 PM

Thank you for the info. So they do survive on the freight section of the plane.

That is great that you can travel with your orchids when you need to without the hassel of paper work and all that headaches.