Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Potting & Repotting (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/potting-and-repotting/)
-   -   Masdevallia potting... (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/potting-and-repotting/53959-masdevallia-potting.html)

Starla 10-14-2011 04:08 PM

Masdevallia potting...

I got two little Masdevallias in the post (is that risky? Anyway, not the point right now) and obviously they just came with a little bit of substrate and no pots. I have put them in opaque pots with bark chippings (orchid focus orchid mix) because I didnt know what else to do really! I have had problems with using moss in the past so I stayed away even though one of the masdevs had sphagnum moss protecting its root ball. Just wondering if I have basically ballsed this up before I have even started. In retrospect I should have asked on here first...:_(

Any advice?

Starla 10-14-2011 04:20 PM

Oh just saw another post about masdevs and sphag. Apparently they like it but I'm not sure about my cool house and soggy Britain. Wouldn't want to leave them too damp...

I had a problem with 2 poor little phals that came from a garden centre (I saved them!) and were in sphag. I didnt want to repot straight away as they were flowering but noticed about 4 weeks ago that they were still wet days after watering. I have since changed the medium and they are doing much better (phew).

Zoi2 10-14-2011 10:41 PM

Most Masdevallias like to stay moist, what ones did you get?
Joann

RJSquirrel 10-15-2011 05:02 AM

with masdys in bark remember small roots need small bark. you use too large a chunk the small roots will not pick up the water and they will shrivel fast. you dont have to keep sphagnum sopping wet, in fact it never should be. should be uniformly moist, not dripping wet. i keep all mine in sphagnum but my culture is rather unique and unto itself.

Good luck :bowing

Vanda lover 10-15-2011 10:37 AM

I have mine in sphag and we are in a rain forest area. Remember, these like it more moist than a phal. They really do just fine in sphag, and it is easy to tell when they are getting too dry.

RosieC 10-15-2011 03:02 PM

I grow in Masdies in moss in my british greenhouse. I even have them in porous clay to help cool them in summer.

The ones I have ARE cool lovers and the one slightly warmer growing one comes into the house in the winter but still grows in moss.

Paul Mc 10-15-2011 03:25 PM

You should look on this forum for "vase culture" as that has been my saving grace with masdie's. I believe it was posted by RJSquirrel - and believe me, that's the only way I can grow them!!!

Vanda lover 10-15-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mc (Post 443753)
You should look on this forum for "vase culture" as that has been my saving grace with masdie's. I believe it was posted by RJSquirrel - and believe me, that's the only way I can grow them!!!

I would never have thought of growing masdie's that way! I have 3 vasco's that really love it, and I have been wondering what other types of orchids people are growing in vase culture. I just may try this, though it does mean watering much more often.

Paul Mc 10-15-2011 06:54 PM

I know - right?!!! RJ comes up with some of the neatest ideas!

Honestly, I started reading about the vase culture for my new vanda's thinking I might need to do that with them, then I read about the masdie's being done that way. Thus far, one that was near death has sprouted 5 new leaves in less than a month, and I'm starting to see the roots growing outside of the net pots, just further proving to me that it likes the humidity in there.

I did modify it from RJ's a bit though. I just used the plastic pots they came in and cut 1/2 inch or so slits up the side and a bit into the bottom. I did not have any net pots that fit the vases I was using.

Plus, I did not add anything in the bottom of the vase other than leaving a large resevoir for water.

Thus far, every morning and evening I see water residue on the side of the glass (inside) so I know it's still working.

BTW, my masdie's are also cool growing and I was concerned initially that the sun needed to stimulate the humidity inside would be too hot. But they are LOVING it!

Vanda lover 10-15-2011 08:38 PM

It doesn't take much sun to stimulate humidity. My books all say that Masdie's are a low light plant. I have spikes forming, so I guess the North-West window is ok.
When I re pot I think I will try some in vase culture. I'm finding it hard to find Sphagnum here, and considering that we are in a rain forest climate with loads of moss, It seams odd to be looking for moss from other countries.