Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Terrarium Gardening (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/terrarium-gardening/)
-   -   New terrariums! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/terrarium-gardening/52985-terrariums.html)

greenbean 09-04-2011 11:02 PM

New terrariums!

10 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone!

I haven't posted in a while, too busy starting school for the semester. But I finally have something to show! I bought a few glass containers at a Goodwill store to make terrariums, so of course I had to buy new plants to fill them, right?! :biggrin:

The first is actually an aquarium that my parents bought for me years ago to turn into a terrarium, which no matter how well I cleaned before planting always sprouted bright yellow mushrooms. :roll: This go-round it's being used to house various plants, mostly orchids, that need higher humidity, but they are staying in their separate pots for the foreseeable future. So far they all seem to love it. Many are starts from my summer internship that are still establishing.
Attachment 59232 Attachment 59233 Attachment 59234

The next isn't an orchid, obviously. It's an Episcia 'Silver Skies' which fishmommy inadvertantly caused me to drool over and buy. ;) But I also got this amazing selection of Macodes petola (heavier veining than usual) to go in the jar next to it, so now I have silver and gold!
Attachment 59235 Attachment 59236 Attachment 59238 Attachment 59237

Now for my somewhat risky experiment: I bought a bicolored Dendrobium cuthbertsonii and then thought it would look good in the last glass jar. I bought some epiweb, formed a tower, planted a tiny fern, a creeping peperomia, and some selaginella in the bottom, then put part of the cuthbertsonii on the epiweb along with a seedling Sophronitis coccinea and an unknown Dichaea that was sent to me by mistake, but was worth a try anyway.

Attachment 59239 Attachment 59240 Attachment 59241

Bud 09-04-2011 11:12 PM

This is way too cool ! You gave me an idea on how to repot my baby Ghost orchids...

FairyInTheFlowers 09-05-2011 12:02 AM

Super cool! I especially like what you have done with the cookie jars, and I like the Epiweb tower.

greenbean 09-05-2011 12:36 AM

Bud, you've peaked my curiosity. What are you planning?

Thanks Cody! I just hope the chids like their new homes!

Bud 09-05-2011 12:52 AM

Evan, the ghost orchid likes a stagnant and no wind moist environment...since they are tiny 2 inches barely 6 months out of flask(they are in a bed of moss inside a brandy sniffer on my window sill)...I will give them the environment that they have in the swamps of Florida...in fact I am ordering some water from the swamp in soFlorida where they are found...and those large jars with moss will just be perfect(I dont know if I should cover it?)

RosieC 09-05-2011 07:43 AM

Really cool!

Wjs2nd 09-06-2011 08:32 AM

Very cool, I would think you might want a few holes in the top of the cookie jar to let fresh air in. The plants will probably need some air exchange. Good luck with your experiment.

greenbean 09-07-2011 12:00 AM

Thanks everyone!

Bud, as Wjs2nd said to me, I would think some air exchange would be beneficial. Sounds like an interesting experiment!

I know my main risk with my large jar is lack of air circulation, which I may improve with a small computer fan. For now I'm just keeping the lid slightly off to allow some air exchange.

Zoi2 09-07-2011 12:21 AM

:love::love:
Joann

Paul Mc 09-07-2011 08:09 AM

That makes me want to go out and make some like that for the office! LOVE the idea!