Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Identification Forum (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/identification-forum/)
-   -   Need assistance in deciphering tags. (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/identification-forum/52428-assistance-deciphering-tags.html)

plantluvver 08-18-2011 01:11 AM

Need assistance in deciphering tags.

Three new babies came home with me from Trader Joe's. And I read a thread or an article on names, but still have questions. Let's see how close I can get to correctly interpeting the tags.

I have inserted a ? where a character was illegible These are the tags verbatim:

Paph. (Makuli-??rtisii)-Maudiae x
Paph. Maud??? 'Napa Valley' HCC/AOS x Sib

?0310-AP
Gdlra. Tahitian Dancer (Lanbaba)
(A)

M1010-H
Milt. Andrea West 'Wild Wild West'
(D)

Here is how I understand it:

Paph.

This is a Paphiopedilum (don't know if I got spelling right). I am guessing x Sib means that the parents in this cross had the same exact mother and father. I am guessing (Makuli-??rtisii) are the names of the individuals who first published this name though it is exceedingly weird for a person's name to end "-ii"

Is this likely to have been raised from a seed, rather than cloned?

Gdlra. looks like none of the genuses I see listed on the web forum. I am guessing (Lanbaba) means the same thing as 'Lanbaba', making this a clone of the individual plant "Lanbaba'

Milt. Andrea West 'Wild Wild West' is a Miltonia (I think that is a 'natural' genus.) ummm...Andrea West describes a particular hybrid cross. 'Wild Wild West' is a registered plant, making this also a clone.

How did I do?

msaar 08-18-2011 01:58 AM

Here goes:
first, it appears someone may be trying to represent this without trying to use the extra set of parentheses: Paph. ((Makuli x curtisii) x Maudiae) x (Maudiae 'Napa Valley' x sib)
xsib means crossed with another (different) clone of Maudiae
It is seed raised; Paphiopedilums have never been mericloned, and there is no clonal name shown for your particular plant.
second: Gdlra. is the abbreviation for Goodaleara, a manmade multi-generic hybrid (Brassia x Miltonia x Odontoglossum x Cochlioda x Oncidium)
(Lanbaba) is probably shorthand for the clonal name 'Lambada Cutie'. The plant has received an HCC award from the AOS, so the complete name is Gdlra. Tahitian Dancer 'Lambada Cutie' HCC/AOS
third: Milt. Andrea West is actually Mps. (Miltoniopsis) Andrea West 'Wild Wild West'. It is a natural genus. Miltoniopsis is the 'pansy orchid' made up of mostly cool-growing mostly Colombian species; Miltonias are warm-growing Brazilian species.
If this is not clear, ask.

glengary54 08-18-2011 11:44 AM

Just a little further clarification on what msaar said:
Paph. ((Makuli x curtisii) x Maudiae) x (Maudiae 'Napa Valley' x sib)

(Paph Makuli X curtisii) has been named Paph. Memoria Allegria Gutierrez. When you cross that with Paph Maudiae you get Paph. Janet Kunkle. When you cross that with (Paph Maudiae 'Napa Valley' x sib), (which actually is still only Paph Maudiae), you wind up with Paph. Hsinying Majakun. The only name that you need have on your plants tag. Now I hope you took notes, there will be a test on this later. :rofl:

plantluvver 08-18-2011 01:44 PM

Who keeps track of all this info?

On the Goodleara, which has an incorrect clone name, wood it be ok for me to ID it as the clone 'Lambaba Cutie.' Or should it more properly be called just Gdlra. Tahitian Dancer?

plantluvver 08-18-2011 01:50 PM

Or maybe I will just forget about it all, and call the Paph. Audrey II

glengary54 08-18-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plantluvver (Post 429375)
Who keeps track of all this info?

On the Goodleara, which has an incorrect clone name, wood it be ok for me to ID it as the clone 'Lambaba Cutie.' Or should it more properly be called just Gdlra. Tahitian Dancer?

The Royal Horticultural Society in England is the registrar of all orchid crosses. Then there are programs like Wildcatt and Orchidwiz and for awards there is the AOS' Awards Quarterly which has been reformatted into an online program.

On the Goodeara I suggest you use the full correct name, at some point you may want to enter it into a show and you will need the correct name.

plantluvver 08-18-2011 02:33 PM

Well, I was thinking if there was uncertainty of the clonal name, it would be better to use the more general name of just Tahitian Dancer.

erna 08-18-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glengary54 (Post 429342)
Just a little further clarification on what msaar said:
Paph. ((Makuli x curtisii) x Maudiae) x (Maudiae 'Napa Valley' x sib)

(Paph Makuli X curtisii) has been named Paph. Memoria Allegria Gutierrez. When you cross that with Paph Maudiae you get Paph. Janet Kunkle. When you cross that with (Paph Maudiae 'Napa Valley' x sib), (which actually is still only Paph Maudiae), you wind up with Paph. Hsinying Majakun. The only name that you need have on your plants tag. Now I hope you took notes, there will be a test on this later. :rofl:

hEEEEHEEEEE now that is as clear as mud.!!
my little brain is just too limited to hold all that info:yikes:

glengary54 08-18-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erna (Post 429484)
hEEEEHEEEEE now that is as clear as mud.!!
my little brain is just too limited to hold all that info:yikes:

:rofl: That's why we only list the registered name and pay for a program to find out what it's lineage is.

plantluvver 08-18-2011 07:15 PM

I notice curtisii is not capitalized, while Makuli and Maudiae are capitalized. Does this imply that Makuli and Maudiae are the names of registered crosses, and not species names?

The name Paph. Hsingyin Majakun represents Paph. Janet Knuckle x Paph. Maudiae, correct? If so, doesn't it lose the prestige of having an award winner in its lineage?